[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Direct Sales Marketing - Products Category • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Direct Sales Marketing - Products Category

Promoting websites, online advertising, press releases... In this category, you'll find everything about marketing, exposure & publicity for your online ventures.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Michelle Waters

Direct Sales Marketing - Products Category

Postby tess47 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:17 pm

I have my own home based business in the direct sales area of marketing. My products are in the home decor and gifts area, therefore what I market is a little different from the majority of people on the internet who are either into MLM, Affiliate marketing, or selling electronics or e-books.

My question is: Do you know of different types of free marketing methods or different approaches to use in this type of business? I already do article marketing, I have a blog, post on forums, etc. But I still need more traffic to my sites (who doesn't). Just thought someone else may have some ideas for this type of direct selling business. Take a look at what I sell, maybe you can help me think up some other ideas :D

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tess

tess47

Postby MommyEnterprises » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:59 pm

Have you tried PPC with say Google Adwords?
MommyEnterprises

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Hi Tess,

How long have you had your site up? First, see my top 10 (free) ways to get traffic to your website:

http://www.clicknewz.com/633/traffic-ti ... new-sites/

I would also recommend that you optimize each page of your website for very specific keyword phrases. First, see my tutorial on Long Tail Keywords: http://www.selfstartersweeklytips.com/a ... 111307.htm

And then on keyword placement:
http://www.clicknewz.com/634/keyword-placement/

In addition to optimizing & marketing your site with the suggestions at those links, I would recommend that you add really good related content to your site, and then work on getting some good inbound links pointing to the pages of your site.

I noticed you already have a few content pages, like this one for example:
http://www.allabouthomedecor.com/articles.php/tPath/3

I'm not sure how you're getting such an odd URL (address) for your web pages - I assume from the CMS you are using to create the site. If it has an option for better link structure, I would look into that.

Anyway, on that page you need to break the article up into paragraphs so that its easier to read. A larger font would be nicer too. If you format your content nicely and have great articles, it can really work for you!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby tess47 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:05 pm

Thanks for everyones input.

Lynn, I have only had my site up and running for two months, and I know that's not much time (I need a little more patience sometimes). I don't know where the strange url's come from, I guess the hosting site, I really don't know. I will read all of your information and find out how to optimize my site more. I do write alot of articles, post in several forums, and exchange links with relevant sites.

Do you believe in a retail business like mine that classified ads help at all, or is that a big waste of time?

I have mixed feelings on this issue. Some days I post classified ads, other days I thinks to myself "waste of time, why bother" when I could be doing other things that I think are more important. What is your thought on this?

Thanks so much!

Tess

Unique Gifts & More - GREAT Prices

Inspirational Gifts & Things
tess47

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:58 pm

I havent tested classifieds myself in a long time - but I know Michael B (a member here at the forum) uses a certain strategy with classifieds that is working well for him. He has a guide on the topic, so I'll have to check that out and get back to you.

I think the majority of classifieds sites are a waste of time - but probably not all. How often do YOU get online and surf the classifieds, or how often do classifieds show up in the search results when you are searching for something online?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby tess47 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:11 am

Your exactly right! I NEVER surf classified ads, and I doubt that many people do, other than those that read the classifieds for the sole purpose of shooting their home business opportunity back at you - I've had that happen several times.

Thanks so much for your help. I really learn much more on this forum than I do in all of the others combined! :D

One of these days I will get it all figured out. It just takes time and patience.

Have a GREAT week!

Tess

Unique Gifts & More - Great Prices

Inspirational Gifts & Things
tess47

Postby forummaster » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:59 am

Why do you doubt that many people never surf classified ads?
forummaster

Postby Mommyland » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:06 am

Mommyland
Elite Member

Postby RadioGirl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:12 pm

You'll also want to check out the resources of Michelle Waters. She specializes in helping online businesses with products.

General classifieds will generally be a waste of time. With all advertising you want to concentrate on finding venues that appeal to your target market. I do read the classified section of my newspaper every week...but that's just because I'm cruising for new prospects and not because I have any interest in buying what's in there...but then I'm one of the few people I know who reads the paper from front to back each and every week.
RadioGirl
Elite Member

Postby annalaurabrown » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:37 pm

How about Myspace and facebook? These communities get a ton of traffic. They are also great places to reconnect with long lost friends.
annalaurabrown
Elite Member

Postby tess47 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions!

Business is picking up, and I have since started an online marketing site. I really feel that I am better suited for marketing information products than home decor, but I still do that too.

Internet marketing is very exciting to me, and I constantly learn new things, which I love.

Again, thanks to everyone - I appreciate it!

Tess

Simple Strategies for ANY Online Business
tess47

Return to Online Marketing & Publicity