[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - It all boils down to advertising! • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

It all boils down to advertising!

Promoting websites, online advertising, press releases... In this category, you'll find everything about marketing, exposure & publicity for your online ventures.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Michelle Waters

It all boils down to advertising!

Postby Xeon » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:40 am

Now, when we start a web site to sell some products or services, we need to tell the world about our web site.

But it seems to me that all kinds of marketing(such as newletter or search engine position) are mostly useless except for paid advertising.

It has been said that if you add interactive features to your web site, such as a 'Tell-a-friend' link, a free newsletter service or an interesting poll, you will get a lot more visitors and existing ones will keep coming back.
Sounds like true magic from Harry Potter.

Sure, but....the issue is : how do you let them know about your wonderful site in the first place?

In the end, it all boils down to...paid advertising, right? :)

I hope to hear everyone's views on this.

Thank you,
Xeon.
Xeon

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:58 am

Hello Xeon & Welcome to the SSWT Forum :D

I completely disagree with that theory, personally - but am also looking forward to a continued discussion on this topic!

I have compiled what works best for me in my .

Two big free tactics in my book are: joint ventures and search engine optimization (this is a new one I'm learning - and it is definitely profitable exposure!). I also highly recommend viral marketing.

What type of paid advertising have you tried and what were your results?

This should be a great debate ;) Again, Welcome to the forum - very much looking forward to your contributions here!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby SBSbookkeeping » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:35 pm

If you want to get the word out about your site FAST, then paid advertising is probably the way to do it. But I disagree that other marketing tactics are worthless. And in the long run I think you have a better customer base. The ones that get to know you thru forums and other viral marketing techniques will be more likely to buy from you because they will know you and trust you. You don't get that thru paid advertising.

Just my 2 cents. :wink:

Lynne
SBSbookkeeping

Postby James Mann » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:06 pm

Hello Xeon

If you are using pay per clicks and you are not focused on the proper
keywords you will be paying for traffic that is coming to your site for
the wrong thing.

You will most likely go broke before getting any pay back.

I tried pay per click and ended up losing money because I did not use
the keywords that would attract the right prospects.

I think Sharon & Roy and Hendrik are the ones that can tell you better
than I.
James Mann

Postby Xeon » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:11 am

Xeon

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:04 am

A good point has been made here... a serious marketing campaign requires an investment - of either time or money.

Even before you spend the money, I would recommend spending some time making sure that you are prepared for the traffic you buy (work on your sales copy & conversion rate & ability to get that visitor to return after the initial visit).

I am currently working on SEO (search engine optimization) for both of my websites, and I'm finding out that its not quite as difficult as I originally assumed - but it is a time-consuming task... depending on how many pages you have ;) ... but well worth the investment of time if you want to compete in your industry!

That said, if you are going to hire your SEO Tasks out... I would make sure that you get a detailed list of what they are going to do for you and what type of results to expect for the quote that you receive. I personally wouldnt pay anyone to submit my sites to the search engines - submitting to the major search engines shouldnt take anyone more than fifteen minutes to do and is very simple.

Scroll down a bit and join us in the SEO Topic :D

--------

You might try using some of your keywords in your signature line (both on forums and in your emails) - or really identifying your targeted market and providing a solution in 2-3 lines.

Have you considered running free trials, or writing a free ebook on "time management" or "goal achievement" to be used as viral marketing tactics?

Let's brainstorm here! :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Xeon » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:31 am

Xeon

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:46 am

LOL I agree, Xeon ;) The problem I see is that there are not many choices for professionals in this industry. Outside of Sharon & Roy and Henrik, here at this forum, I have not met anyone that I would fully trust to take over my SEO tasks. Plenty of people are willing to take your money for "search engine submissions" or "mass link exchanges" etc - but you can do all of that for free in a matter of minutes. The true SEO tasks are so personal and unique for each website/business that you would have to work very closely with an SEO professional to achieve real results... and there arent that many people out there offering the combination of detailed consultation and results that are worth paying for.

If I were going to hire an SEO Professional... it'd be Sharon & Roy. And I would hire them because they have proven their interest in my business and their extensive knowledge of SEO. And THAT is why "networking" (one of the free marketing tactics mentioned above) is worth WAY more than any paid advertising you can buy ;)

You have to either make an investment of time... or of money. What you'll have to decide for your own business is which of those investments would bring the most profitable results. Anybody can get traffic - but making the sale is what it's all about :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Xeon » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:21 am

Xeon

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:20 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Xeon » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:28 am

Xeon

Postby flensborg » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:40 am

flensborg

Postby Mike Merz » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:47 am

Here's my two cents, All ..;)

Taking into consideration what was already mentioned ...

I'd also add:

Increasing your exposure within your niche Market by ...

- Finding it by doing keyord and keyword phrase searches in the major SEs, directories, B2Bs, AND smaller niche related directories.

- Search out those comparable with your offerings, rip the sites apart ... head content, THEIR offerings, sign up to their newsletters, visit and interact in their forums, even get to know the owners (if it's at all possible).

To make a long story short, "model" (don't STEAL) their success, putting your spin on it as need be to make it your own.

I'm considering making the next sentence the subject of a new e-course ...

It's all about relationships ...

- The money is in the list! (... but what good is a big list if it doesn't convert? Build trust and credibilty with relationships).

- More traffic to your site! (but what kind of traffic? What good is 100,000 hits if nobody's buying? Build market recognition, reputation and referrals with realtionships).

Write and submit articles and regularly frequent, and interact in, Online forums, discussion lists, BBS, chat, etc.

The aforementioned remains my 2 favorite forms of indirect advertising.

I also enjoy the PPCs, IF you use them wisely, Adwords being my fav.

If you do use paid ezine advertising ... target it, test it, track it.

Regards,
Mike Merz
Mike Merz
Elite Member

Postby James Mann » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:20 pm

Hendrik, first (polite) hello. :D

Now, have you ever had Site Build Manager not load properly.

I went for the last couple of weeks and it would not load.

Today, a few minutes ago it just loaded find.

Now I can use it to focus on my "build a web site" web site iNET Strategies Inc.

Do you have any idea?

Might have a problem with XP.

There are certain types of eBooks that always give me I/O 32 error.

Well I am off to focus on some keywords that will make my site get
noticed.

No PPC for me until I am 110% sure.
James Mann

Postby flensborg » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:31 pm

flensborg

Next

Return to Online Marketing & Publicity