This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Locating niches and creating content for them

How to do keyword research, find trends, locate niches, etc. Tools, methods, ideas and Q&A can be found here...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:20 pm

Ladan Lashkari wrote:
unless you take the time to create a very organized "online store"

Yes, if you create an organized online store with a professional look and feel, it can be very profitable. But some people misunderstand it and just create a busy one-page website full of advertising and affiliate links. Then they wonder why they don't make any sales. :wink:

Hi Ladan,

I just launched another site that is an example of this particular method (store vs content site model) and thought I would post a link to illustrate what we were discussing above: http://www.CorkitUp.com

Great discussion, by the way - I enjoyed your input!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Ladan Lashkari » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:40 pm

Hi Lynn,

Thank you for introducing that site! It's a perfect example of what we were talking about. :)

Your site is very neat, easy to navigate and has a professional look and feel. What's more, the niche you've chosen has a good potential for an online store. For this specific niche, I think an online store will be even more profitable than a content-based site.

Good luck! :D
Ladan Lashkari

Postby Rose » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:44 pm

Foremost, I am attempting to locate a market which I can provide such a website to that does not have a hampering amount of competition. I have used some of the various tools to research ideas I have brainstormed such as overture, nichebot, keywords organizer, and Google's adwords tool, but haven't really found any definitive results. Any keywords with a good number of views that I located (10,000+) seem to already have significant competition from relevant content sites. Perhaps there are ways to do this more efficiently that could help me?

It's funny, but over the last couple of years I had become fixated on trying to be "keyword aware" when building sites and writing articles. However, when I built my first, then second site, keywords wasn't the "big thing" as it is today.

Out of curiosity, I went and did some research on my sites for keywords vs competition. I've come to the conclusion, it doesn't matter how many competing pages there are, you can still do well with a site.

For example, my Wedding Themes and More site is designed for people searching for wedding theme ideas and products. So I did a search on Google for the keywords "wedding themes". Here were the results:

Wedding Themes - no quotes
My site - #1, first page
Competing # of pages - 4,740,000

"Wedding Themes" (with quotes)
My site - #1, first page
Competing # of pages - 340,000

My Halloween Howl site was actually originally geared to Halloween parties, although over the years it's expanded into all areas of Halloween stuff. After checking my website stats and seeing what people were searching for to find my site, I was surprised! So I checked those keywords for where my site comes up and how many competing pages there were:

Halloween Movies (no quotes)
My site page - #4, first page
Competing # of pages - 6,160,000

Homemade Halloween Costumes (no quotes)
My site page - #4, second page
competing # of pages - 410,000

Halloween yard decorations (no quotes)
My site page - #2, second page
competing # of pages - 436,000

I never even really optimized for those 3 keyword phrases and yet...I'm doing well on Google for them. And as you can see, there's a huge amount of pages that I'm competing against too.

Don't let the number of competitors overwhelm you. A good portion of those sites are junk and if you build a good, well designed, well thought out site, you can easily move pass them.

Keyword research is needed so you know what people are looking for...but I think beginners to selling on the Internet get very discouraged when they see the numbers of what they "think" are competing websites. In my opinion, do your keyword research, find out what people want, and give it to them...don't worry about competing with the competitors - learn from them instead and make your site better!

Realistically, you could find a great money making niche that has low competion today....and that niche could explode with hundreds of thousands of "competing" webpages over the next month...so then what do you do?

Anyway, that's how I look at it when putting together a new site. I hope this puts things in a bit more perspective for new marketers that are floundering with finding a niche.

[/quote]
Rose
Elite Member

Postby Ladan Lashkari » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:51 am

I agree with you that if you search for a keyword in Google and it finds 4 million websites, it doesn't necessarily mean that you can't get a high ranking for that keyword.

But it really depends on the niche. Some niches have far less keyword optmized websites than some others because most website owners in that niche don't have much info about why and how to optimize their pages for search engines.

For example if you create a keyword optimized website about wedding, you can get a top 10 ranking much easier than if you create a site about affiliate marketing.

Because in the wedding niche many people have no idea about SEO, but in affiliate marketing niche almost everyone is kinda a SEO expert. :)

So the best way to find out if there are a lot of competition in a niche is checking out the top 10-20 websites in Google to see if there are any serious competition for you in that niche.
Last edited by Ladan Lashkari on Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladan Lashkari

Postby Ladan Lashkari » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:58 am

Lynn,

Maybe you want to make this thread sticky. I think it contains information many people who visit the "Getting Started" forum will find helpful.

Just my 2 cents! :)
Ladan Lashkari

Another Technique For Tapping Into Markets

Postby jbsmith » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:47 am

Great discussion everyone, after all - finding the right market and then focusing in on the right demand within that market is really the key to any successful online business.

What I have been doing for the last 12-months, for markets that I may be interested in but do not have a great deal of experience with yet, is to setup a content site (adding articles I've written and 3rd party articles I have had written for me), product or program reviews, a blog, etc... - with
the focus on 2 main things: 1) Building a list through offering a variety of
giveaways - software, ebooks, or 21-part course, etc... 2) Experimenting
with affiliate programs, not with the primary intent of making money, but
more with the intent of seeing what people are most likely to purchase.

After a few months of driving traffic to these sites, I have a very good idea of a) market viability, b) what the market wants c) their spending habits.

In some cases, if I still don't see evidence of strong demand for aff products
and when surveying my list, no clear buying pattern appears, I'll simply
turn it into an Adsense site or portal.

Most cases, I've seen clear evidence of what the market wants, then I
can re-structure my offers, pages, etc... around demand.

This is a very low-risk, high return approach to entering markets you may
not be 100% (ok even 80%) sure of.

Hope this helps...

Jeff
jbsmith

Postby Ladan Lashkari » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:52 pm

Great tips, Jeff! Thanks for sharing! :)
Ladan Lashkari

Postby Jeff Casmer » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:31 pm

Hi,

Niche sites and turning them into blogs can also be very profitable....I learned this from Willie Crawford....I have a niche blogger called...

Fettucine Recipes
http://fettucinerecipes.blogpsot.com

This blog has been only up for a few days and as you can see I only have a couple of entries but putting google adsense can be very profitable as I already have made $47 in only 4 days with google adsense. Now...just imagine if I maintain that over the course of a year?

Just my 2 sense....lol

Good luck!
Jeff Casmer
Jeff Casmer

product research

Postby Troy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:47 pm

Hi Kevin,
There is also a tool called the Market Research Wizard that basically analyzes the supply/demand/competition ratios for a given product.

The software was developed by the research team at Worldwide Brands. I was one of their beta testers of the earlier version, and was impressed.

It pulls results from many different search engines and ebay. There is a free trial...
http://dropshippers-directory.com/MRW.shtml

I have just started building an online store for a friend, and I am really impressed by how well the OSCommerce store is easy to edit, and set up. It is already hooked up to most of the main Credit card processors, comes with the option to add any language that you want, and like you mentioned, does allow your customers to ad comments and rate your products. www.oscommerce.com

I dont know what they charge, but they are packaged with my hosting at netfirms

Good luck Kevin!
Troy

Postby quantikev » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:35 pm

24hourwealth wrote:Hi,

Niche sites and turning them into blogs can also be very profitable....I learned this from Willie Crawford....I have a niche blogger called...

Fettucine Recipes
http://fettucinerecipes.blogpsot.com

This blog has been only up for a few days and as you can see I only have a couple of entries but putting google adsense can be very profitable as I already have made $47 in only 4 days with google adsense. Now...just imagine if I maintain that over the course of a year?

Just my 2 sense....lol

Good luck!
Jeff Casmer

Jeff, it looks like you've created a very successful blog to have enjoyed so much success with it so soon! I am curious about this, as I'm sure others are. What methods have you used to promote it? Also, did you do any significant promotion before going live with it?

I just started a blog in a small automotive nich of my own and would love to learn how to better promote it. thunderbirdinfo.blogspot.com

As always, thanks for reading!
Kevin
quantikev

Postby Griffin Lilly Jr » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:38 am

*Falls over*

Jiminy Cricket!

Great advice and info!

My brain is overloading with all these tasty facts!

Thanks for 'sticking' this up! :D

By the way, how dows XSitePro streamline this whole process of making a niche site? Has anyone signed up for this program? :?:
Last edited by Griffin Lilly Jr on Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griffin Lilly Jr

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:04 pm

I was just replying to your Introduction, Griffin - so glad to see you found this thread! XSitePro is getting RAVE reviews... see our Testimonials section for a good long thread of posts by happy users ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Griffin Lilly Jr » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:17 pm

Here is a website about niche marketing as well:

http://www.xsitepro.com/Secrets-for-Finding-Report.html

Enjoy! :P :mrgreen:

EDIT: Yikes! Yahoo! bought out Overture.com! :shock: I am informing you because the author's point about using Overture will bring a new site and the instructions may not be relevant. :wink:
Griffin Lilly Jr

Postby Jeff Casmer » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:49 pm

Hi Kevin,

Honestly? No promotion at all. Just good content and in this case recipes....stick some google adsense on there and bring home the checks....I also have a blog for autism as my son has autism

http://cureautismsymptoms.blogspot.com

I am on the 1st page of MSN for both and risely quickly for Google.

The key? Good content and "niches"

Jeff Casmer
Jeff Casmer

Postby quantikev » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:14 am

Thank you for your reply Jeff.

My blog is now a month & a half old, and I can see what you mean regarding traffic. Even with a long space of time between my last and most recent post, traffic is constantly gaining. Its obvious as I create more post topics, I will gain more traffic from showing up under additional search queries. All this in a very small niche.

Also, glad to see a blog on a medical topic. I have considered blogging about a specific disease and this will be valuable for learning from.

Kevin
quantikev

PreviousNext

Return to Market Research