[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - How Many Searches Do You Like to See on a Potential Niche? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

How Many Searches Do You Like to See on a Potential Niche?

How to do keyword research, find trends, locate niches, etc. Tools, methods, ideas and Q&A can be found here...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

How Many Searches Do You Like to See on a Potential Niche?

Postby tot » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:00 am

To take a break from my first project, I sometimes type in keywords to get an idea of potential interest in other ideas.

In Ros Gardener's book, she says she likes to see at least 1 million searches on a topic before she creates a site around it. "Dating" has that much. Now, let's say I want to make a dating site.

I type that search term into the overture KW tool and see more than 1 million searches on that term. I also see subsearches such as "single dating" and "free dating."

QUESTION: Are those subsearches ("free dating" and "single dating") part of the larger 1 million number shown beside the word 'dating'? Or are the subsearches counted separately?

My second question is have you been profitable with niches that have fewer than 1 million searches? I would imagine the answer is yes. I found something that has 600K searches and think I could make a go of it, because I love the topic.
tot
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:05 am

Dating is a VERY general topic, and if you plan to build a huge content/community site then you do want to go with extremely popular general topics. However, many successful sites have been created around sub-niches and micro-niches within these more general topics.

The beauty of this business is the variety of ways you can approach an idea, and the wide variety in business models you can consider!

For me, it depends if I am creating a new web page on an existing site, a new website, or a new "mini-site" (which for me, consists of under 20 pages).
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby visit_faraz » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:57 am

visit_faraz

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:32 pm

Yes it would be difficult. Thats why you would want to build a LARGE content site around the topic, narrowing in on the micro-niches within the main niche.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Market Research