[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - ftp software • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

ftp software

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

ftp software

Postby networkmom » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:19 am

networkmom

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:13 am

Do you happen to remember what you were using?

I use http://totalcommander.com , but I know there are 'newer' programs out there that are free too.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Jim Guinn » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:49 am

is still free, too.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby networkmom » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:02 pm

Thank you, What about a zip program, I thought I had used a free version but can not find one anywhere.

Denise
networkmom

Postby Tom Fosson » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:55 pm

I have to agree with Lynn - is the boss! It covers both your FTP needs and your ZIP needs. It will work in 'trial' mode, but it is only about $30 and worth its weight in gold, IMHO. I couldn't do without it.

Cheers,
Tom Fosson
Tom Fosson

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:54 pm

Boy am I ever glad to hear that, Tom :D

And here I thought I was the only living breathing human that still used TotalCommander (which I still refer to as Windows Commander :lol: )

*cheers*
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Tom Fosson » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:09 am

Hi Lynn,

Yes, I've been using it since Windows Commander version 4.51 ( is currently at version 6.54). That was so long ago that I forgot where I first heard of it - I think it was on the Web Developers Virtual List (WDVL). I liked it from the beginning because it reminded me of some of my favorite DOS file managers (Norton Commander for which it was named after, and LIST.COM by, I believe, Vern Berg - or something like that.) Those were extremely functional for their times, but could never hold a candle to what Total Commander can do!

I use quite a few of the plugins, too (and there are a ton of them - most are free.) One for reading and modifying old DB2 files, one for editing the Registry, one for managing WinXP, Server 2003, and Win2K Services, one for burning CDs and DVDs (that one, I bought) - the list of available plugins just boggles the mind!

Yet, even without the plugins, the builtin functions make it the Swiss Army Knife of file managers - directory synchronization, multi-file renaming, viewing all types of files such as graphics and MP3 files (did you know you can immediately play MP3 files with 'view lister' instead of waiting for over-bloated players to load?)

It treats ZIP (and most other archive type files,) Network Drives (mapped or not,) FTP sites, Services and Registry (with plugins,) CDs, DVDs, Digital Cameras - every kind of 'storage' imaginable - the same as if they were all just local drives. I even found that the FTP functions work with "Secure" FTP sites! With two side-by-side windows and custom tabs for frequently used folders or tasks, it's faster and easier than Explorer or any other file manipulation utility, IMO. I even have my Services in a tab for instant access. :)

Then, there's the file comparison, splitting, joining, encrypting, decrypting, archiving and extracting (it even looks inside CAB files and CD Image files,) and CRC creation and verification. It's integration with Irfanview lets you view a directory in Thumbnails regardless of the graphic format (even PSDs). It works seemlessly with NoteTab Pro for editing files. It's better at zipping than Winzip and better at FTPing than most of the more popular programs.

There're so many ways of customizing it and adding to it that I have yet to discover any type of file management task I can't do with it. And I haven't even tried all the builtin capabilities!

I'm a "Utility Junkie", having collected gigabytes of utility programs over the years. Total Commander has virtually replaced nearly every utility I have ever downloaded - I probably use it more than any other program I own. The small cost for the registered version is unbelievable for its usefulness. As I said in a prior post - it's worth its weight in gold!

BTW, I saved a copy of the tutorial you did on using FTP with Windows Commander. I though it was exceptionally well done and saved it more as a guide for designing tutorials (since I had pretty much mastered the FTP side of it myself.) Did you ever upgrade it to reflect Total Commander? Is it still online? It should be made a "Sticky" in the "HTML, Web Design & Programming" forum, or maybe here in this forum.

Cheers,
Tom Fosson
Tom Fosson

Windows XP users

Postby Warren Contreras » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:32 am

The Zip is built in to Windpws XP and for FTP I use FileZilla which is open source and simple to use. There are even some tutorial videos on Google Video.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=filezilla
Warren Contreras

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:57 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby lazydad » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:59 am

Totally FREE and reliable program you can use is core ftp at

I've been using since last month till today with no problems. Works like a charm. easy yet simple.

hope this helps.

jasman
lazydad

Postby geraelindsey » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:45 am

geraelindsey

Get Filezilla for your FTP software

Postby Johnny » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:58 am

Johnny

Keepin it simple ftp

Postby Troy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:04 pm

I am suprised at how many folks dont know that your browser (if it is IE) also works as an ftp client, on most systems anyway. I discovered this on accident.
you type in ftp.yourdomain.com in the address bar. You will be told that you cannot login, for whatever reason.

then you go up to file, and click on "login as"
put in your username and pass, and your there.

If you dont see the login as, then your puter is not configured to do this, but it works 99 percent of the time. some web hosts require you to use your subdomain path instead. (ftp.yoursubdomain.host.com) or they have specific routes for you to follow. Just thought Id share this one with you.
Troy

Re: Keepin it simple ftp

Postby flensborg » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:00 am

flensborg

I see...

Postby calvinchin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:46 pm

Hi Denise,

I have been getting software that I want from this place:

Just type the software you want into the search box and look thru the
files listed.

Hope it helps. :wink:
calvinchin