[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Should I host my own website to start? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Should I host my own website to start?

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Should I host my own website to start?

Postby RKramkowski » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:48 pm

Hi, I currently have my own management consulting business and as such am in the process of building a website for it. I have quite a computer setup in my house right now. I have my own exchange server, web server, DMZ set up, firewalls, UPS, etc. Problem is that I'm really operating on a shoestring right now due to real slow business. My consulting website isn't intended to be a high-traffic site since what I do is very specialized so I don't need bandwidth the size of Texas.

Is it possible to host my own forum with some of the free forum software that's out there? And what about hosting my own website(s) to get started. I realize that whatever I do, it'll take a while before traffic and hopefully profits start. I'm really trying to start this off for as little as possible and then plow any profits back into expanding and making my business better. I do recognize that at some point it probably will make sense to use a hosting service but until I have something coming in, any recurring costs as well as other startup costs will be very hard to come by.

Given that I already have my own infrastructure and have some technical capability what's the best way to spend what little money I have in order to start the ball rolling?
RKramkowski

Hosting is not a place to save

Postby Warren Contreras » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:27 pm

I have a rack server in the next room that I use for testing in house, but there's no way I would put it on the Internet.

With quality hosting available around $6 a month, how can anyone compete if they need any bandwidth allowance at all? You sure can't afford to bring in a T1 line and dial-up is not on full time. Putting a server on Cable or DSL in most cases is against the terms of service for your ISP, so what's left?

My $6 account is on a dual Xenon server with an OC3 pipe in the middle of the Silicone Valley and pumps out response times I could NEVER get from my server at home. They take care of all the admin stuff that I COULD possibly do myself, but not for $6 a month.

I think it's a No-Brainer
Warren Contreras

Postby weblord » Thu May 11, 2006 4:38 am

you need also to think about the uptime and availability of your 24/5 online business and put it into the hands of the experts.
weblord

focus...

Postby calvinchin » Thu May 11, 2006 8:42 am

calvinchin

Postby Marc Meole » Fri May 12, 2006 12:04 pm

Marc Meole

Postby flensborg » Fri May 12, 2006 5:30 pm

flensborg

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting