[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Find Out How Many Sites Your Server Hosts • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Find Out How Many Sites Your Server Hosts

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Find Out How Many Sites Your Server Hosts

Postby Rose » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:48 pm

Here's a nice little tool I found while checking out webhosts:

http://www.whois.sc

You can find out how many sites your web host has on your current server. It's a good way too, to find out how many sites are on the servers of different hosts you may be considering by typing in domains of people who are using the service.

As I found out, one of my websites, which has been up and down throughout the days over the last 3-4 weeks, has 857 sites on the server that I'm on (oops...I lie, just did a recheck and it's now 859 sites).

Interestingly enough, my main website which has been with a different hosting company for over 5 years only has 233 sites and I've never had a problem other than a couple of pre-notified scheduled downtimes because they were moving everything to new, faster servers.

Obviously, when checking on hosting, price isn't everything.... it's good to know just how many other people you will be sharing resources with, as it could affect your website.
Rose
Elite Member

Postby MarketingSyndrome » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:19 pm

Now that's scary. I was able to use reverse IP thingy and trace all my sites hosted on one of my dedicated servers. Do you know how to block reverse IP trace?

I need to protect my online assets!
MarketingSyndrome

Postby johndilbeck » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:46 am

Hi Rose,

Thanks for sharing that site! That's a really cool tool.

While I was there, I thought I'd check on some of my domains, hosted on a variety of servers.

Interestingly, I learned that my CherokeeCountyNC.com domain, hosted by HostingWithUs.com, had 11 websites on the server. The last time I checked, the site was hosted in Orlando, FL, but this report says it is hosted in Dallas, Texas. I knew the ownership of the company had changed, but I didn't realize my site had moved half-way across the country! ;)

I subscribe to the service that hosts MurphyNCBusiness.com from a company in Louisville, Kentucky. I just now learned that 275 websites are hosted on this server which is located, not in Kentucky, but in Provo, Utah.

My JohnDilbeck.com domain, hosted by AssortedInternet.com, had 180 websites. At one time, it was hosted in Virginia. Now it's in Washington, DC. I was happy to see the blacklist status of this domain was clear. I use that domain for my main email address and it's posted on thousands of web pages. I don't know how many spammers are spoofing my address, but I get a few angry letters every month and I try to patiently explain to them that I didn't send the message they're mad about. A few years ago, this domain was hosted on a server where another domain was hosted, and that domain was a spammer that got blacklisted. It took months to solve this problem.

AYearFromNow.com, a Site Build It! site hosted by Sitesell, had 9 websites on the server. It is hosted in Hudson Heights, Quebec, and hasn't gone anywhere.

21stCenturySmallBusiness.com, hosted by Ezprovider and marketed by Cognigen as Webmax Studio, had 147 websites on the server. Interestingly, I discovered that the server is located in Vancouver, BC, and I never knew that, before now.

When I tested johndilbeck.blogspot.com, it said the server hosted two websites and I'm guessing that they are blogger.com and blogspot.com. Since I was looking at a subdomain, I didn't know what to expect, but I'd be interested in knowing how many blogs are hosted on that server. Of course, I'm sure there are hundreds -- thousands? -- of servers hosting blogspot.com blogs.

This site returns a lot of good information and I'll be using it a lot more in the future.

Another site that I use a lot is http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and you may find some interesting tools there.

Thanks!

All the best,

JD
johndilbeck

Postby Rose » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:14 pm

Yeah, I found it to be a great little tool for finding out information about your own site.

As I mentioned, my main site wedthemes.com had 233 other sites on the server and that seems to work out fine, as far as I can see. However, my other sites blew me away:

caringforcanines.com 563 websites hosted on server - slow at times and I've had troubles connecting to mail and FTP.

halloweenhowl.com 654 websites hosted on server (and I've noticed that it's starting to "disappear" occassionally or becomes very slow loading....not a good thing to happen for me in October)

famous-artist-prints.com & new-age-wisdom.com (multiple domains) is the one with 859 websites on the server. These are the sites that caught my attention on being down because I had been working alot on New Age Wisdom alot this past month and was having trouble FTP'ing, connecting to mail, etc....so I'd check the site and it'd would be gone for an undetermined amount of minutes. Problem is, I have no idea how many times it's down or slow loading as I can't obviously be checking it every minute of the day.

In any case, while searching around for a new host for myself., I used this to check out web sites on other hosts first to see how many they will cram onto a server. If there were more than 300, I moved on.

I also like the feature on being able to see the Blacklist Status of the server. Good to know if emails suddenly start bouncing back.
Rose
Elite Member

Postby johndilbeck » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:40 am

Hi Rose,

I use http://www.siteuptime.com/ to check my most important sites for me. It works very well.

I'm sure there are many other services that do the same thing, but I've been happy with this one.

All the best,

JD
johndilbeck

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting