[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Multiple Domain Hosting • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Multiple Domain Hosting

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Multiple Domain Hosting

Postby Rose » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:13 pm

Hi everyone,

When choosing a host that offers multiple-domains, what type of domain name do you use for the initial set up? Do you use one of your already existing site names? or do you use a generic domain name?

For example, I'm signing up for hosting at ABC company and although my domains are at Godaddy.com and I'll be pointing them to the DNS servers, I still need to give the host company the name of at least one domain to start with... so would you use one that you already have or register and use a generic one...like bobsplace.com ?
Rose
Elite Member

Postby KansasDragon » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:51 pm

I would buy a new one, with a name that fits into my market. With the intent to use it for some content, or a sales page in the future.

Then I could add my other domains into the account as needed, and as time allows.
KansasDragon

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:06 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Rose » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:49 am

I decided to get a new name and use that for now. I got thinking that if I used an exisiting one, and that site doesn't work out as well as I'd like, then it would be kind of hard to take down (as it would be the primary one for the hosting setup).
Rose
Elite Member

Postby therichniceguy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:19 pm

Just make sure that you use a domain that you're going to want to keep for the long term. I know with my hosting company, now that I've choose that main domain for the DNS, it would be difficult to change it. I signed up as a reseller with the intent of setting up a hosting company, so I choose my main domain name to be my reseller hosting site. That way if I ever get around to setting up a hosting company, my DNS will be assosiated with that domain.
therichniceguy

Hosting multiple domain names

Postby sagegreen1952 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

I need some basic information about hosting multiple domains. I have four sites--two are retail sites and two are information/professional sites. They are not related.

I have separate hosting with godaddy for three of them. The money starts adding up. I tried ipowerweb for the last one, because they have multiple domains with my hosting package with them. I have not used it yet, but have started reading about it and I am confused. I contacted customer support and they said to do subdomains and then use pointing to the domain names. But I cannot logically do subdomain URLs with totally unrelated sites it seems to me, unless the pointers show a different URL, the site's original URL. Does this make sense?

I have contacted hostgator, because I am not impressed with ipowerweb's service, and I love the online hostgator tutorials and Q&As. Their customer support said that they use subdomains also (unlimited sites for the baby package) and if I wanted separate domain accounts go with the reseller package.

I guess one of the things that I don't understand is what exactly is a pointer and what does it do? And how do you multiply host total divergent web sites?

Sorry to be so longwinded, but this particular question has already had great info and I figured now is my chance to understand this topic.

Jo-Ann
sagegreen1952

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:23 am

Hi Jo-Ann,

I use , and also (more expensive), and have multiple domains hosted on each of those accounts.

It's true that you initially set them up as subdomains, then point the domain name to that subdomain. So you dont use the subdomain to pull up each individual 'site', you use it's domain name. It's just the method for setting it up.

I also put a snippet in my .htaccess code to prevent people from being able to pull it up by the subdomain (it redirects it to the domain name). To give you an example, all of these 'sites' are hosted on the same account:

- http://www.selfstartersweeklytips.com
- http://www.passiveincomeguide.com
- http://www.webservicenetwork.com
- http://www.adsense-guide.com

Hope that helps! :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby eBookWriter » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:29 pm

eBookWriter

Postby eBookWriter » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:52 pm

eBookWriter

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:56 pm