[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Re: Can't transfer computer file to web server • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Re: Can't transfer computer file to web server

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Re: Can't transfer computer file to web server

Postby Andrea21 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:20 am

Hi,

I wonder if someone can give me some assistance with transferring computer files to web server.

I recently signed up with a hosting company and despite having had some email correspondence with them, I am finding it difficult to understand how to transfer some information from the computer that will be on my website.

It asks for things such as FTP Host address and so on.

Can you please reply?

Regards

Andrea
Andrea21

Postby Jim Guinn » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:47 pm

You need an ftp client to upload your files. A free ftp client, which is simple to use, is SmartFTP at .

Read the instructions!

Your hostname is your domain name (yourdomain.com). Do NOT put in http://www

User name is the user name you picked or they gave you from your hosting company.

Password is the password you picked or they gave you from your hosting company.

Website files should go in the public_html folder or something similar...whatever term your host company uses.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby Tom Fosson » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:31 pm

If your web hosting is managed with cpanel, you should have also received information from your hosting company on how to log into cpanel. Should that be the case, you can log into your cpanel and look for an icon labeled 'File Manager', or something similar, and click it. You should be able to use it for uploading your files.

If you do have cpanel, don't let its appearance intimidate you. There's usually a fairly good manual online with it. If not, just search Google for and you'll find a lot of sites to help you.

HTH,
Tom

PS: Just ran across this that may be just what you need. You can view more cpanel tutorial videos from .
Tom Fosson

Postby Andrea21 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:16 pm

Hi,

Thank you Tom, Jim for replying. I actually came across an ftp software called cuteftp which has been quite helpful. The tutorial was also helpful.

I am now stuck with trying to get an image on to the web server. I have been able to upload the html documents. However, I am stuck with uploading an image that I have of an ebook cover.

Can you please give advice?

Regards

Andrea
Andrea21

Postby Tom Fosson » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:07 am

FTP programs usually upload files in two different formats - ASCII and BINARY. The HTML files you successfully uploaded are fine done in ASCII, but graphics files need to be uploaded in BINARY format.

I'm not familiar with CuteFTP (I use Total Commander, for which Lynn wrote a great tutorial,) so I cannot help you in configuring the upload format for you files, but its help file should provide the info you need.

HTH,
Tom
Tom Fosson

Postby Andrea21 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:45 am

Andrea21

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting