[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - I have to vent... • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

I have to vent...

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

I have to vent...

Postby LynnWilson » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:25 pm

How can I market successfully? I have Her Web Host as my hosting service and they are not working today. I come back from an out of town trip and my website is not up. Her Web Host is not up. I cannot check my e-mail. So, I googled "her web host", pulled up their cache of HWH's site and called HWH's customer service number.

I get an answering service who can tell me nothing! They have no clue what to say except they will take a message. My site is still down, my files unaccessable (will I ever see them again?) and I cannot check five days worth of mail?

I am so upset about the lack of customer service I received today and that my site is down...AGAIN.

Lynn :evil:
LynnWilson

Postby webturtle » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:52 pm

I can't solve your current problems but I can at least say I feel your pain and it doesn't have to be like that. There are thousands of web hosting companies and I've heard horror stories like that all too often. Fortunately, there are some excellent companies out there that really are quite reliable affordable.

Do you not have FTP access to your hosting account? Who built your site? Where was your site built and who has the original files? Do you have your domain registration account information? Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help. I resell for the majority of my clients and have administered their sites for a number of years and might be able to help.

Incidentally, I have never seen a host with NO problems, ever - they're dealing with hardware and problems DO happen. But - that said - you really need to have a well known reputable web host with good features, daily back ups and features like statistics, to operate a business web site. And, for heavens sake - EVERY site owner should get a copy of their site up front from the designer, in case of a disaster, and have access to their FTP and registrar account information. People, if you don't have this right now, get it today and stash it away for "just in case"!
webturtle

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:31 pm

I can really relate, Lynn. As you know, I used Her Web Host - and was very happy with them, even - for quite awhile. The same thing happened to me back when they upgraded their servers (and support was less than helpful). That's when I switched to ThirdSphere.

(at 24.95/mo) is overkill for just one site, unless you have use for the affiliate program manager and other great scripts that come standard with their package. Of course, for me it is a savings because I was able to host all of my sites under that one account instead of paying for multiple accounts - and the scripts in the "automation station" are a huge bonus.

Do you have a current backup of your files so that you can move your site to a new host if it comes to that?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

I've cooled off...some...

Postby LynnWilson » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:49 am

My site is still down.

In answer to your question, I built my own site, and yes I have backups of most all my pages on my own computer, so I can copy and paste and, aside from changing a few things, be ready to go immediately, but it's the hassle of this mess!! They have no answers, to my knowledge, of what's going on. I don't have a real big site, but it did pay for itself and then a little. Also, I just gave out some business cards. I sell Usborne books, and most of the sales come through my homeschool site.

Lynn, I remember that well, and I almost left back when all that happened as well. My site was down back then for over 24 hours, again with no explanation until AFTER it was all over. Service since then has been reliable, but a repeat like this is not acceptable. I am worried. I recently built some pages that I have NOT had time to back up, so those will be lost.

Lynn
LynnWilson

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:45 am

I agree, and I understand what you mean.

The problem will likely be resolved in the next 48-72 hours... the same amount of time it would take you to set up a new hosting account and get your domain name transferred.

With that in mind, you have to ask yourself if it would be easier on you to ride it out for now... or to go ahead and switch on the principle.

I'm not sure who to recommend. I would definitely check out Eileen's link above, and perhaps ask around a bit. Also, I noticed has a plan for under $10/mo (2gb space) and they are currently waiving the set up fee.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby WAHumor » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:17 pm

Third Sphere is worth every penny and then some.
WAHumor
Elite Member

well...

Postby LynnWilson » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:37 pm

I feel a little bit consoled. I called again today (third day in a row) and the answering service has finally been given something to tell callers. The servers are apparently in Houston and service is out due to the storm.

Lynn :shock:
LynnWilson

Postby webturtle » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:38 am

Interesting. They must be a pretty small company then?

In any event - you definitely want to have access to your site files and domain information so you can pull off a move when this sort of thing happens and the company isn't prepared with redundancy, backups, or multiple locations. Also, it really helps to have a host with a disaster plan, who can quickly notify their clients 'what's up' without putting you through a couple days of angst! :)

Good luck!
webturtle

Postby LynnWilson » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:28 pm

My site has been down for four days now. Her Web Host had an announcement posted on their site that they were prepared for the storm, but I guess not. Even their site has been down.

Even if it was due to a storm, I am not happy with the customer service I have received in the aftermath.

Lynn :(
LynnWilson

Postby MommyEnterprises » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:36 am

I have 5 websites with Herwebhost and they are all down.

I am losing money everyday. I hope we are given some sort of compensation for this. At least some free hosting..........
MommyEnterprises

HerWebHost

Postby StacyPerez » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:57 am

StacyPerez

Postby webturtle » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:05 am

webturtle

Postby StacyPerez » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:32 am

StacyPerez

Postby Jeff Casmer » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:31 pm

Jeff Casmer

Postby LynnWilson » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:58 pm

LynnWilson