This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Best website hosting package?

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Best website hosting package?

Postby Gerry » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:47 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm about to launch a not-for-profit site which will aim to provide a service to subscribers, but 100% of their subscriptions will go to charitable projects. Did you know that the death toll of the recent tsunami rouighly approximates the number of people, a majority of them children, who die prematurely every single week due mostly to the effects of hunger, aids and malaria/water borne diseases?

Anyway, that's just to put the tsunami in perspective - great disaster though it undoubtedly is.

Since I'm funding it myself and will take nothing from revenues generated, I need a 'cheap but good' place to host the site. Some of the packages I've looked at are charging for a lot of add-on services that I don't need (like site design). What I do need is reliability and good service, e-commerce capability to take Paypal or similar payments, e-mail addresses, sub-domains, and since the service will be delivered by way of weekly e-mails, I was hoping to use an autoresponder to automate that process, so it may need to be able to handle that too. Full FTP access is important so that I can edit and change the site any way I want.

All suggestions welcome. Thank you in advance!

Gerry
Gerry

Postby Gerry » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:06 pm

Oops I may have jumped the gun a bit in posting this question - I've just noticed a similar request from MommyEnterprises a bit farther down the list. I'll read the responses to that and no need to reply to me unless you have a host in mind that might be particularly right for me! :)

Thanks

Gerry
Gerry

Postby Hock Ng » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:05 pm

Gerry,

Hostgator may be right for you. The URL is: http://www.hostgator.com

Hock
Hock Ng

Postby Gerry » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:00 pm

Thank you Hock. I'll check it out.
Gerry
Gerry