[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Reminder: LOCK YOUR DOMAIN NAMES! • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Reminder: LOCK YOUR DOMAIN NAMES!

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Reminder: LOCK YOUR DOMAIN NAMES!

Postby Domain Name Guy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:52 am

Hi everyone.

Sorry to put the subject line in bold. But I can't emphasize how important
it is to ensure your domain names are locked.

I'm sure many of you might be confused with this, so read it slowly or re-
read it if you have to. But I'll do my best to explain it in as plain simple
English as possible.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is a
governing body charged with overseeing the Domain Name System (how
the domain name goes to its website and all) as well as ensuring domain
registration companies (called registrars) toe the line. They recently wrote
some new domain name registration transfer policies which take effect on
November 12 (you can look it up at http://www.icann.org/transfers/ ).

FYI, domain name registration transfer means you can transfer your
domain name from one registrar to another of your choice. You now have
literally at least a hundred choices as to whom to transfer to and use, a
far cry from the days Network Solutions used to be the only one.

Anyway, onward to the present. How important are these new transfer
policies?

Although not much has changed from the policies, the major change is that
if you file and complete a request to transfer to a new registrar, the new
one notifies the current one (the one you're moving away from), and the
current one attempts to notify you, then the transfer will push thru with or
without your reply
(unless you reply on time and say no).

Unfortunately, that means all it takes is one determined person to exploit
the weakness in that policy and try to take your domain name away from
you without you even knowing about it.

Meanwhile, for your domain names' safety, I urge you to check with your
current registrar if your domain names are locked. That's currently your
best defense against the possibility of having your domain hijacked.

And believe me when I say that retrieving a hijacked domain name is not
the easiest thing in the world to do.

Also, kindly inform as many people around you as you can to ensure they
have their names locked.

You can email me at davezanATDomainNameSecretsExposed.com if you
have any questions.

Good luck to all of you! Keep your domain names safe!
Domain Name Guy

Postby mmh3 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:37 am

mmh3

Postby Domain Name Guy » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:41 pm

No problem.

I don't know exactly but try this:

1. Log inside your account with Go Daddy.
2. Click Manage Domains.
3. Check the box beside the domain you want to lock, then hit the Set
Locking button.
4. Near the lower right, check the box beside Lock and hit Save.

That's as far as I recall. Just contact your registrar's support for more
info.

Hope this helps.
Domain Name Guy

Postby mmh3 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:41 pm

Wow, sure enough... locked mine just now. Thanks for the tip!!!
mmh3

Postby Domain Name Guy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:53 am

Domain Name Guy

Postby PattyGale » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:26 pm

I just logged into Godaddy and they have it clearly written that due to the new ICANN rules, that they have no choice but to honor a request without notifying you and they highly recommend you lock all domains.

So, needless to say, I did just that.

Patty
PattyGale

Postby theuniek1 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:50 pm

One thing I've noticed about my registrars

All of them have domain lock on by default, you'd actually need to sign in and turn it off if you wanted to do anything with the account...

Wonder if there are any other registrars out there that have it turned on by default also (I would think so as it makes the most sense to me...)

Teli
theuniek1

Postby Domain Name Guy » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:47 pm

Domain Name Guy

Postby LuckyMommy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:53 pm

I'm with netsol and the domain is locked. In fact they're sooooo protective of their customers domains that I'm STILL, after months, trying to get the domain transfered over to me! My friend handed the domain over to me awhile ago and we just recently started the transfer process. Netsol says they cant read the signature on her fax. Well, at least I know that my domain is probably not going anywhere. LOL
LuckyMommy

CLOSE CALL

Postby StephenR. » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:07 pm

Hey man thanks for the heads up that would have slipped past me as I haven't logged into GoDaddy for a few weeks. I had about 30 domains just sitting in the clear. Thanks again. :lol:
StephenR.

Postby CorpRebel » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:54 pm

CorpRebel

thanks

Postby NorthTexas » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:23 am

NorthTexas

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting