This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Domain name email address

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Domain name email address

Postby angienewton » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:30 pm

OK, this is going to sound so stupid but I'm having a real DUH moment. I have an email that I can use angie @ losingitandlovingit . com and when someone uses it, it goes to my main personal Comcast email account. Now the thing is I don't quite remember where or how I did that :lol:

AND

when I go to email someone back my Comcast email address is what they see not my domain email address.

How do I get this to all work?

Hubby would like to set up some emails for all his domains too but I feel silly that I don't remember how I did the one thing and have no clue how to get it to work where that email address is what shows up when we email someone back.

Confusing myself right now so if you understand what I'm trying to ask, please help :wink: Thanks so much!
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby TorontoCarol » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:40 pm

Hi Angie,
I'm not familiar with Comcast, but for outlook, I have each of my accounts set up and they all go in together for me to read. Then when I want to send an email, at the top where the 'from' field is, there's a drop-down box. When I click it, I can choose any one of the email accounts I have there.

Don't know if this would be similar or not, but the solution may be an easier one than you realize.

Carol

p.s. after many duh moments, I write everything I do in a log book for the next time. Since I know I will not remember how I ever did it.
TorontoCarol
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:13 am

Oh boy, the log book is a great idea. THANK YOU!

I don't use Outlook so I wonder if I can even do it. Hmm
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby Russell Portwood » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:47 am

Angie:
I would start by taking a quick look at the email settings in your domains cpanel admin. Looks like you maybe have an email forwarder set up. Let me know if that doesn't put you on the right track and I'll scratch my head some more.
Russell
Russell Portwood
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:12 am

You setup email addresses within your hosting cpanel under the Mail icon. That should also give you your hosting mail server information (i.e., mail.yourdomain.com) to use when setting up a new email account in your mail program.

Depends on what mail program you use to download and read your mail as to how/where you go to set up a new account, but typically it's under Tools > New Account or possibly Edit > New Account or something like that. Then enter in the information they ask for. Again, the information you need to enter should be found in your hosting cpanel under the Mail icon - or within the Help button in your hosting cpanel. ;)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:06 am

Hubby and I will take a look at all that this weekend. Thanks Russell and Traci for the guidance. I think the problem is that I don't have a place where I download emails like Outlook. I'll peek through Comcast and see what I can find.

And it has to be cpanel where I set it all up. Thx.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:22 pm

If you aren't downloading emails, then where are you reading them? Are you using webmail? Or forwarding the domain emails to another account? If you want to forward them, you don't need to set them up first, just add a forwarding rule for any account name you want, forward it to your desired email address (like a gmail account or something) and that's it.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby Mel » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:15 pm

As Russell mentioned, it sounds like you set up the losingitandlovingit address to forward to your Comcast account.

If you can't figure it out by the information above, I recently created a "how to" on setting up emails and forwards in cpanel. It's a PDF on my site and you're welcome to download it to see if it helps.
www.essentialofficesupport.com/cpanel-email.pdf
Mel

Postby angienewton » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:27 pm

I'm reading the emails in my comcast web mail. I set up the forward for angie@ losingitandlovingit.com to go to my AngiesGiftsNMore comcast email account and it works fine BUT if I go to reply to that email the end user sees my AngiesGiftsNMore comcast email not the losing it and loving it one I set up.

Mel, thanks for the link to that pdf. I think the forward is the one I did but I'm just stuck on the reply part it doesn't stay as angie@ losingitandlovingit.com

Am I even making sense?

Thanks everyone!
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby Mel » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:20 am

If you are checking your comcast email online, then there is no way (to my knowledge) to send mail from the other address. The reason it can't is because Comcast doesn't really have access to your losingit account as it's just receiving mail that you forwarded to it.

If you were using software like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc to download your email, then you could set that program to check and send from multiple accounts, including losingitandlovingit.

Gmail works similar to Outlook where you can have email from different accounts come to it, and it will allow you to send from the different addresses.

The reason Outlook and Gmail can do it is because you're setting them up to access the actual account, rather than just receiving forwarded mail.

Does that make sense or did I cause more confusion?

Edited: If you want to check your mail online, without having to download it, what I would do is sign up for a Gmail account and have it handle your mail. I think it can check up to 5 extra accounts and you can send from that many or more.
Mel

Postby tknoppe » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:07 am

Yep, the problem is you are forwarding the mail to comcast and basically telling comcast to handle this email account for you.

If you want to send/receive email from your losingitandlovingit.com domain - then you need to cancel the forwarding and set this email account up as a full email account and download the mail to a mail program, or if you have webmail with your hosting, you can read it from there.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:00 am

Mel and Traci,
NOW I finally get it.

I will have to get it all figured out. I might test with one of my other domains that I don't use right now to play around with it. And I do have Gmail so I'll do some research there too.

Thank you so much for your PATIENCE with me ladies.
angienewton
Elite Member

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting