[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Can You All Educate Me? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Can You All Educate Me?

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Can You All Educate Me?

Postby Kathleen Roberts » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:41 pm

I am in the process of building my web site on my iMac. Of course, I will need to purchase a domain name and find a host. I was looking at GoDaddy because it is all in one (read that: easy for a newbie). However, I have also read some not great things about them.

Can you help me understand the best place to get my domain name and how to actually use a host? I don't really understand how it all works. If I get a domain name and used HostGator as my host, do I just tell them the domain name?

I'm hoping I can figure out how to upload my site once I set all this up. lol One thing at a time though. :)

Thanks for the help! :)
Kathleen Roberts

Postby nar321 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:11 pm

Hit the wrong key and it borked my message. Anyhoo after obtaining your domain go to HostGaor to set it up , the Domain seller will have given you the nameservers which you have to point to your domain. HostGator may even do this step for you.

Don't make the mistake of hosting where you bought the domain, If y ou do they may under the terms of EULA own your content.

Next step is to use Fantasico to install Word Press.Translation you can learn to upload or FTP(File Transfer Protocol) later as HostGator gives you a back end called cpanel which includes the above mentioned as well as many other goodies

Use Google to locate a inexpensive domain. You have to decide the name and don't make the mistake of having your domain and hosting with the same provider as if you do they may own your content.

Any step you don't feel comfortable with can be outsourced, even any content needed for the site. Hope this helps and feel free to ask questions :)

There is even a coupon available for HostGator which gives you the first month for a penny. Check SSWT for the coupon(hoping it is still available). Do note that HostGator also offers to transfer sites at no cost, which should ease any concerns about how one gets anything you want on the new site
nar321
Elite Member

Postby Kathleen Roberts » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:42 pm

Okay, that makes sense. :) I guess I'll register my domain with Go Daddy and host it with HostGator.

I downloaded RapidWeaver last night to build my website. I used to be pretty good at HTML but there is so much new to learn. So, I hope I can get all of this figured out.

Thanks! :)
Kathleen Roberts

Postby nar321 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:22 pm

Just a suggestion, Use Wordpress which wil be available tin your
HostGator cpanel in the Fantasicsco(probably spelled wrong)section and if all goes well you will have a site 5 minutes later. Naturally you have to add your own content.

You can even turn it into a CMS (Content Management System), likewise you can create Static Pages. You can add plugins obtainable from the www.wordpress.org to extend it's possibiltys

Depending on your financial status there are even Customized Word Press posibilites. Do a Google search for themi. My rant about them is that you don't really own your site in the sense that you now have to wait for the developer to upgrade the theme or else something will be borked if you try to upgrade Wordpress on your own
nar321
Elite Member

Postby Kathleen Roberts » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:59 pm

Isn't Wordpress just for blogs?
Kathleen Roberts

Postby nar321 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:34 pm

No, With Content Management System only you know it is a "Blog".About the same holds true for static pages. I presume you know that blogspot is a blog and no where near as flexible as wordpress.

Don't try to use it for commerical purpose but there is also www.wordpress.com which is different from wordpress.org.
nar321
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 pm

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Kathleen Roberts » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:44 am

The site I am building is basically to promote my copy and content services as well as editing. I used to be good at creating websites but I am still learning the whole domain and hosting thing. :)

There is a guy I know who wants to hire me to build his web site. I can do it but I don't consider myself an expert. So I almost feel guilty charging to do it. However, it is a lot of work for free. ;) I guess I'll sort of learn as I go.

Eventually I'd like to offer the total package--web site with copy/content, newsletters, etc. Too ambitious? I have a serious lack of self-confidence. I'm pretty good at learning as I go though.
Kathleen Roberts

Postby robert adams » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:53 pm

Ok, get a domain name that relates to what you do in some way.
Try to get a .com if at all possible. None of the rest are taken seriously by anybody.

look around , you can find domain names for $6 or $7 a year today.

Do not get hosting from the same place as your domain name.

Find a decent hosting plan somewhere.
You don't need a lot of space but the more bandwidth you can afford, then better.

You should be able to get a decent hosting account for under $50 a year.

get a good ftp program ( filezilla is good and free).
learn how to use it to connect to your hosting account server.

now, get whatever type of web site editor that you like to use and go for it.

For how to setup your business site, this is the place to get all those questions answered.
Spend some time here reading and you will learn a lot.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

luck,
robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby nar321 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:56 pm

Thanks Robert for distilling my verbose replies and capturing "the essence " of what she should do.

Kathleen don't feel guilty as it is what you produce and not how long you have been producing it that is the important thing. Who knows you might even create a sieline for yourself. Best Wishes and of course let us know now it turns out and of course we'll be here to answer any questions.
nar321
Elite Member

Postby Kathleen Roberts » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks to both of you. :) You've been a huge help. I'll post the link to my site as soon as I have it completed. You can let me know what you think (but be gentle)
Kathleen Roberts

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting