This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Database too big to transfer...

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Database too big to transfer...

Postby canderson » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:36 pm

My question is, what program is there that will do this no problem, becuase my wordpress database is like 100mb and climbing... I am wondering how Lynn manages the larger databases for MySQL etc. can anyone shed any light on that matter please?

Thanks,
Clint
canderson
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:01 pm

100MB is a relatively small database for an active WP or forum, etc.
exactly what are you trying to do and
what problem are you having exactly?

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

hey robert...

Postby canderson » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:42 pm

I want to #1 back up the database easily, and if I want to change hosting providers I want to be able to transfer the database easily without trying to upload this huge file. I am talking about downloading to my computer then back up to new host. I had this problem before, when I upgraded servers at godaddy, and it took me like a week to figure out how to do it without any issues.
canderson
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:11 pm

ok, like I said, 100MB is not that big. If you are using dialup internet then it can be an issue. otherwise it is not.

on the server where your database currently resides.

find out what program your host provides for you to access and maintain your database.
Most hosts provide phpmyadmin for this.

whatever program it is, you will find a way to "export/backup" your database(s).
this allows you to download the backup file as a compressed file. They usually offer zipped, gzipped etc options for this.

a 100MB database file zipped would be just a few MB in size when you get it to your computer.

now, to restore that database file to a new server, you usually have several options.

sometimes the size of the fileto be restored is restricted by php settings of your host.

you can sometimes use phpmyadmin's "import" feature to restore it.

other database programs will have these features as well.

there is another really great program for restoring mysql databases. It is called bigdump and can be found here:
http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php

it will restore any size mysql database file to your server without worrying about the limits that your host may have imposed.

as far as problems with godaddy, EVERYTHING you try to do with godaddy's hosting is a problem.
and their support is often times a joke as well.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

wow, again thanks

Postby canderson » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:36 pm

you have met and exceeded my expectations for a response from another forum member. Thanks much for that. I would agree with you about Godaddy, but I have not found a VPS like i have now for the money that I have acquired mine through Godaddy, any suggestions on hosting companies that might be same cost but better service?

Thanks, Clint
canderson
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:39 pm

well, if you are running a vps that usually assumes a certain level of knowledge of how to do these types of things.

I have no idea about VPS costs etc. so I can only suggest http://webhostingtalk.com or similar.

luck,
robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Did you ever get that speach about being a doer or a planner

Postby canderson » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:07 pm

I thought it would be best to be a doer with the web hosting... I still don't know what I am doing... lol I wish there was a site that had all the answers. right...
canderson
Elite Member

Postby Russell Portwood » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:08 pm

It may not have *all* the answers, but Robert's suggestion about http://webhostingtalk.com is probably as close as you 'll get. There is a wealth of information there.
russell
Russell Portwood
Elite Member

Postby alexc » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:42 pm

Ah...so now we can start getting into some of the issues you may be up against. Just starting out and diving into running your own VPS is probably not the easiest way to go about things. What you have done is asked GoDaddy to set up a server where you can do pretty much anything you want to do, and they will have to do very little management on their end. I'm not familiar with GoDaddy's VPS offerings, so I don't know if they provided you with a server image with all the needed tools or not, but one thing that you should be able to do is navigate through the whole system as though you were the admin. That means that you can install your own tools, as well, which means that database backup tools can be installed to make this easier to do. Again, I don't know what GoDaddy has provided you, so you might need to do some digging around on your server.
alexc

Postby Russell Portwood » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:23 am

Just as a note to those who may be following this thread or might refer to it in the future, I wanted to make a couple of observations.

Robert's comment about GoDaddy reflect the norm and not the exception. I haven't had any accounts hosted there but I have worked with their hosting for a client. Hard to deal with. I had a couple of domains registered there and have moved all but one. Still trying to get that one moved!

If you are looking at going the VPS route and don't know how to manage your server, find somebody that offers managed servers. Then, make sure their customer support is good. While there are good and bad about all the hosting companies, do a bit of research to find what is best for you. And again, there is a wealth of knowledge at WebHostingTalk. Do your homework.

With just a bit of digging I was able to find http://www.innohosting.com/ who offers managed servers and free migration help. Also, ResellerZoom seems to get high marks. (Wow, you can find about anything on the interweb!)

I am seriously considering consolidating some accounts and going to InnoHosting. I used to be in the hosting biz (didn't know anything about it but muddled through with lots of happy customers) but sold it. May make the plunge again since InnoHosting will provide end-user customer service.

Hope this helps those who are scratching their head about hosting and having their own virtual server.

Russell
Russell Portwood
Elite Member

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting