[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - If any of you have any domain name concerns... • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

If any of you have any domain name concerns...

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

If any of you have any domain name concerns...

Postby Domain Name Guy » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:25 pm

Domain Name Guy

Postby alice » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:24 am

alice

Postby gary_the_ace » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:33 pm

Dave, I think you might need to be a little more direct ... I THINK I
know what you're talking about in your sig lines on most boards, and
with this post ... but ... I'm really not sure.

I don't think I've ever worried about a domain name, and over the
years I think I've had 200 or so registered ... spit it out ;-)
gary_the_ace

Domain Names

Postby Geo » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:52 am

Geo

Hmmm..

Postby PattyGale » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:51 am

PattyGale

Re: Hmmm..

Postby Domain Name Guy » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:37 pm

Domain Name Guy

Postby PattyGale » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:31 pm

Thanks David,

That definitely helps answer my question.

Patty
PattyGale

Domain registration and hosting

Postby HowardH » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:45 pm

Locking your domain is a good idea. Even without the new changes, it's possible to lose your domain through trickery. The domain transfer request can be mistaken for a renewal.

I have another piece of advice: Never, ever host your domain with the same outfit that you use for registering your domain! That, BTW, applies to my domain registration service as well -- even though it may look like a good deal, you may find yourself outgrowing the hosting arrangement (or find higher performance or more cost-effective hosting elsewhere), and discover that your domain name is being held hostage by the hosting service.

That's why I offer two alternatives to my domain registration service for hosting. Note that the economy hosting also offers domain registration -- but don't take it! Register your domain at one place, and host it at another. That way, if you ever have to re-host, the hosting provider has no way to stop you from making the best choice for you!
HowardH

Postby Domain Name Guy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:54 pm

100% agreement with your post, Howard. Too bad many people still fall
for it. :cry:
Domain Name Guy

Postby shelwriter » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:16 pm

That's strange... Thanks for telling about this.

I'm actually up for renewal this month. I contacted my purchasing company because I couldn't figure out how to renew it. They told me I had to go to my hosting company to renew it. How did something like that happen? I didn't think I transferred it to them. I feel sort of violated :shock: if you know what I mean.

Can I ask for my domain name to go somewhere else? Should I? Advice?

Thanks!
Shel
shelwriter

Postby HowardH » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:40 pm

HowardH

Postby shelwriter » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:49 pm

Thanks Howard!

I'll dig deeper and see what I can find out.. right now it's late and my brain is turning to mush again and I've got lots more to do before bedtime.... :P

Can I get back to you on this one?? I'm sure I'm gonna need some help! LOL This kind of thing is way above my head and since I'm almost in the process of buying a few more domain names I am going to need to know this stuff. I've searched on the Internet for domain name information, but there's really not much out there.

You know, you could put together a great e-book on this and sell it for profit! :wink: I'd buy it! *g*

Ok, give me a few days and I'll be back. (ohh, all Terminator-like voice...)

Shel
shelwriter

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:35 am

Hey Shelle,

You can check the whois at www.betterwhois.com - that may give you the information you're looking for ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby shelwriter » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:22 am

Okay, I've had a little sleep. Thanks Lynn! Okay, I did the search and this is what confuses me....

Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC. Status: ACTIVE
Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.
Whois Server: whois.wildwestdomains.com
Referral URL: http://www.wildwestdomains.com
Name Server: NS1.TOTALCHOICEHOSTING.COM
Name Server: NS2.TOTALCHOICEHOSTING.COM
Updated Date: 29-nov-2003
Creation Date: 29-nov-2003
Expiration Date: 29-nov-2004
[whois.wildwestdomains.com]
Registrant:
The Corporate Writer
Registered through: TotalChoice Hosting
Domain Name: THECORPWRITER.COM

See where it says Registrar Wild West Domains? Then it says Registrant, who is me! :wink: Then it says Registered Through: Total Choice, which is my hosting company. So.... Who owns it? Why is Wild West telling me to renew through Total Choice? These are the things that confuse me!

And, how do I protect it? LOL

I'm just full of questions today.

Thanks!
Shel
shelwriter

Postby Domain Name Guy » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:28 am

I'll break it down for you.

First, Wild West Domains is now an accredited registrar based on the .
Next, Totalchoice is a reseller for WWD.

Domain registrars form reseller partnerships with various entities (most
notably hosting providers) to further expand their services. Resellers have
"first rights" when managing domain names before their registrar partners
step in.

Your first step is to contact your hosting/reseller Totalchoice on how to log
inside your account (if you haven't yet). If you can access your account,
check your domain name details and ensure your "administrative contact"
email address is valid.

Next, since the domain name's good until Nov. 29, theoretically you can
transfer it to another registrar of your choice. But from your situation, this
is where complications begin.

Check TotalChoice's Terms Of Service or Service Agreement to see if they
state any scopes or limitations regarding the domain name. I further urge
you to contact TotalChoice and ask as many specific questions as you can,
namely:

1. What are your restrictions if I transfer the name?
2. Are there fees involved? Normally there shouldn't be, but because it's
with a reseller instead of an actual registrar, you might be forced to fulfill
their requirements.
3. Is the name locked? WHOIS shows its status as ACTIVE, so I doubt it's
locked, but better make sure.
4. Is there a time limit on transferring the name to another registrar?
Depending on their TOS or what they say, some prevent transfers if the
domain expires in 20 days or so, again check with them.

Bottom line, transferring away from a reseller can be more painful than
transferring away from a registrar because they're not accountable to
anyone except their registrar partner. Plus there aren't enough laws which
define the scope and limitations on this rather difficult subject.

But that doesn't mean you should lose hope! Again, be familiar with your
reseller's transfer policies and penalties before doing so, don't make any
assumptions.

If TotalChoice isn't cooperative, then you contact WWD. However, I don't
know what WWD's approach will be on this except to refer you back to
TotalChoice.

Give what I said here a shot. Then "report back" so we'll see if we can
work out something.

Oh, and I'm actually writing an ebook about this. I'll put you on my list
when it's ready. :wink:
Domain Name Guy

Next