[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Bandwidth Question • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Bandwidth Question

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Bandwidth Question

Postby stevecm59 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:40 pm

Don't know if this has been asked, or answered, but Host Gator says that 1GB of bandwidth is equal to over 100,000 hits. Now, on their site they show you get 3,000,000 megabytes and/or(?) 3,000 gigabytes of bandwidth for their smallest plan.

I realize getting a blog that hits 100,000 a day isn't total fantasy, but I'm trying to figure out in my head what would be a realistic blog bandwidth usage a month for a site that got 100,000 hits a day. Would that be 30 gigs a month?

And yes, I've already registered my domains and am just soooo close to getting things set up...so my brain is worried about bandwidth in the future...aiee.
stevecm59

Postby R.A. » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi Steve,

Good Work on getting the domain. I have been using hostgator and have no problems with the bandwidth yet. I'll give you a couple stats with forums. They have been good with hosting my friends' forum with 4K members now not all of them are active but they do get a lot of traffic everyday and hostgator's done fine so far.

For now, start off with the small plan. You can always upgrade if you see yourself exceeding the limit. Upgrading is quite easy too.

Good luck!
R.A.
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:10 pm

although certainly possible, the prospect of getting 100,000 hits a day any time soon is very small.

if you have the type of site that will get that many hits, then you should definately be making plenty of money from it and then you can certainly afford more bandwidth.

planning for the future is one thing, but I don't think you have to be worried any time soon.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby karynsolo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:00 pm

I host many bloggers and the bandwidth usage is not just measured by how many hits you get to your site there are other things too that can eat up bandwidth as well such as : a script that is not properly configured and running rogue, or mass mailings going out all the time to lists, etc.

Only one account to date has had to be upgraded to a higher package due to bandwidth exceeding and right after the upgrade no more problems.

I highly doubt that you will need an increase anytime soon so do not worry right now about that. Concentrate on getting your site out there, known and profiting, worry about the bandwidth later.

Your cPanel will tell you what you have used as the month goes on just look to the left hand menu when you get to your opening screen, you will see what you were given and how much you have used at all times.

Awstats and other plugins available with your cPanel will let you know what your current traffic is at all times. I love Awstats personally as I can see how many hits I am getting, where they are going, how many pages are viewed per visit, where the visitors are coming from and a wealth of other great information.

Best of luck to you, and do not worry you will be fine. Hostgator will let you know if you get into the danger zone with bandwidth by sending you an alert email. If you do not get that you are in the clear. My system does the same for my customers. If you hit the yellow zone it watches you , if you creep up to the red zone and email immediately gets sent alerting the customer that bandwidth is in danger of exceeding and to contact us.
karynsolo

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting