[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Domain Forwarding & Masking a Domain • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Domain Forwarding & Masking a Domain

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Domain Forwarding & Masking a Domain

Postby angelaaa » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:50 pm

I have been reading about these two concepts. I started reading at GoDaddy and then I decided to do a google search and then read from there...

I will admit - I am confused as hell.

Can somebody explain it for me in simpler terms and then tell me the pros and cons?

Thanks you guys,

Angela :D
angelaaa

Postby koanwrangler » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:06 am

Angela,

If I understand your question, you're asking "why would anyone mask a domain and forward it to another domain?" Is this correct?

The way I use this technique is... well, honestly, after I got www.milagroresearchinstitute.com up and running, i thought of a better name for it... www.instantchange.com. shorter. easier to remember.

so i purchased the instant change domain at godaddy, and then had it forward to milagro research institute's home page. try it... you'll see that your IE address bar still reads "instantchange," although you're actually at the other site...

there are some smooth tricks you can play in affiliate marketing with this... you can embed your cookie and send your client to a main sales page, for example...

i'm sure some of the others on this forum can think of other uses, but that's what i know.
koanwrangler

Postby angelaaa » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:30 am

How then would your site get listed in the search engines?

By the way - thanks for answering my question koan.

angelaaa

Postby koanwrangler » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:55 am

whoooosh!

That was the sound of you streaming past my area of expertise at a high rate of speed.

I find the whole subject of SEO boring and irrelevant. Anything everybody else is doing is probably at least inefficient... possibly detrimental... certainly boring. :D

I'd rather have one qualified, certified gold, double opt-in customer with whom I have a relationship than 1,000 blind "clicks." I probably just don't understand the subject, though.

There are others on this forum who are mysteriously fascinated with SEO, and I"m sure that they'll show up any minute (hint, hint) and explain it to you.

Absolute blind guess: the answer probably has something to do with meta tags.
koanwrangler

Postby angelaaa » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:15 am

angelaaa

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:53 am

That's a good question, and I believe Sharon & Roy covered it awhile back, but I cant seem to find it. I'll send them a note on this and see if we can have them shed some light on the subject. I dont use redirects, myself - but would be interested in doing so at some point and would like to know, too!

As for whether or not SEO is worth the time & effort... definitely! ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby angelaaa » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:21 pm

angelaaa

Become Familiar with the HTTP 301 Status Code

Postby Sharon & Roy » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:38 pm

Sharon & Roy
Elite Member

Postby angelaaa » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:05 pm

Sharon and Roy,

Thank you so much for the explanation, description and the links to support what you are saying.

Lynn,

This is one post you should hang on to and keep for future reference... a sort of FAQ for this site if you know what I mean. This is one handy dandy thread for folks to be able to refer back to.

angelaaa

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:54 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting