[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - best hosting for price • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

best hosting for price

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

best hosting for price

Postby Teresa » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:04 am

Teresa

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:35 am

Hi Teresa :D Welcome to the SSWT Forum!

There are a couple of good threads on Hosting that I'm sure you'll find interesting:

http://www.selfstartersweeklytips.com/f ... .php?t=899

http://www.selfstartersweeklytips.com/f ... php?t=1517

I've been using Her Web Host for quite a while, and up until recently was happy with their service. They upgraded servers a couple of months ago and things have gone downhill since then (the packages we originally ordered changed, customer service & support is not what it used to be, billing problems, etc etc). I had started out on an 8.95/month plan, which was a great price for the features at the time...

When I launched a second site, I included it on my original package for a one time $10 fee. I did end up upgrading my package to 14.95/mo and then to 19.95/mo to accomodate space & bandwidth usage - and then ended up separating them into two accounts (which cost me 19.95/mo ea because of size & amount of traffic by that time). It turned out that I didnt have enough 'data transfer' allowance on these packages, so often had to pay overusage fee's - - something like an 'email bomb' or tons of junk mail would get me there, too, as my email accounts were included in the calculation of data transfer. While they did include a mailing list script, it was very basic - and I very quickly grew out of it... so I moved my list to aWeber (which is a terrific deal for the 19.95/mo). So as you can see, my account went from under $9/mo to almost $60/mo :shock:

I honestly wouldnt have had a problem with that if the service had been worth the price. There has been no compensation for the insane amounts of down time, no resolution to complaints, etc. I'm very happy with my move to (which I am in the process of right now). In addition to lowering the price I've been paying - their accounts come with tons of features that would cost extra anywhere else. I am able to host both of my sites on the one account (for 24.95/mo) without losing important features (such as stats!) on the secondary account(s). That's something you should check into, by the way - that you get stats on your parked domain, as I found it after the fact that HWH only offered them on the primary domain. Anyway, things like an Affiliate Program Manager and unlimited ad-free autoresponders & mailing lists are very costly when added on from third-party companies... so that makes a logical solution for my sites, as those are features that come with every account.

That said, when launching a brand new site, or just starting out - and especially if you just need 'the basics' - many of the less expensive hosts will suit you just fine. I do recommend that you keep a current back up of your site files, databases and mailing lists at all times... just in case something happens, or you choose to move servers at some point. You can usually transfer a domain and upload your files to a new host and be back up and running in a matter of 36 hours in the case that something goes bad ;)

Keep us posted on what you decide! I look forward to hearing more from you :)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

affiliate program tracking??

Postby Teresa » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:34 pm

Teresa

Re: affiliate program tracking??

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:00 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Ailanthus » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:15 pm

I've been doing some extensive searching for quite a while for a good web host. I'm planning on having my site up within a couple of months, hopefully.
Anyway, as far as features and cost go, I haven't found any service that can top what BlueHost offers. However, seeing as how I haven't actually signed up with them yet.... I have no idea about downtime or anything like that.
I have the link in my signature in case you're interested.
Good luck!
Also, if anyone knows of any other hosts that can compete with BlueHost's cost ($6.95 per month) compared with their features, I'd love to hear about it! I'm on a tight budget, and I need to find the best deal I can. I know there are many hosts that are less expensive than $6.95 per month, however; their features are usually a bit lacking.
Ailanthus

Postby Ailanthus » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:13 pm

Ailanthus

Postby AaronC » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:44 pm

AaronC

Postby Ailanthus » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:01 pm

Ailanthus

Postby Dieter Kling » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:01 am

erwerwer
Last edited by Dieter Kling on Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dieter Kling

Postby wahmjennie » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:26 pm

wahmjennie

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting