[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Domain Names & Keywords • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Domain Names & Keywords

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Domain Names & Keywords

Postby edwinnyc » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:31 am

edwinnyc

Postby robert adams » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:37 am

neither one. separate the words with dashes.
nobody will ever type in all those words together.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

ooops did not ask the full question....:>(

Postby edwinnyc » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:17 am

thanks robert:

Failed to ask the full question, I am a sleepy head... :lol:

Ok so include dashes, but should the 1st words that appear in a domain name be mortgage-basics-new-york.com vs new-york-mortgage-basics.com so that the 1st words that the se's or spiders see are mortgage basics in the domain name, so the question in my mind is will I get hurt if I do not include the keyword phrase mortgage basics as the 1st word in the domain name if other words were to follow.

So in the domain selection process when creating a domain name, will one get hurt if one does not know how to place keyword phrases in the domain name with seo in mind, maybe add a word or 2 to the main keyword phrase in front of it or behind it, to make it more appealing to certain group of people that live in a certain area such as in new york, so should new york be placed behind the main keyword phrase or in front of it because it sounds better and does not affect the way the se's will rank me on my domain name and really does not make a difference or does it make a difference...........whewwwwwwww . :roll:

Thanks robert....

as in my case

, i live in ny and wish to communicate they are dealing with someone local even though no one is searching to the domain name does not follow certain rules in creating the domain name

I think this is important to understand so that in the future when creating domain names , and lets say I wish to create a better name for my brothers clown site such as

Does it matter in what order the keyword phrase is

that the searh engines would see
edwinnyc

Postby robert adams » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:53 am

I am not sure that it will make any difference to the search engines.
However, I have discovered that google has become smarter lately and I am behind the times.

So.... maybe Lynn will come along and give you a better answer.

She showed me that google picks up the single words in a run together phrase, even without the dashes. It was not able to do that before.

So, I am going to back out of the discussions on what does and does not work in domain names for google etc.

Now, where is that legal disclaimer when you need it?

Oh, here it is:

[LEGAL]
I am not a doctor, lawyer or indian chief. I have never played one on TV, but did think I was SuperMan back when I was 5 years old. ( Thank goodness the window was only on the first floor. ).

So, when reading my posts, one should keep this image in mind:
There I was, SuperMan cape around my neck, standing on the window ledge, yelling " UP, UP and away!".

[/Legal]
robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:31 am

It doeesnt matter. Period.

Look at selfstartersweeklytips.com (good grief, what a domain!)

It ranks for "learn internet marketing":
http://www.google.com/search?&q=learn+i ... +marketing

That keyword phrase is not even in the domain.

Or search "think and grow rich audio". You'll find an SSWT page as #4 or 4:
http://www.google.com/search?&q=think+a ... rich+audio

And you'll notice the words "think grow rich audio" are NOT in the file name OR the domain name.

Again, It doesnt matter. The domain name itself holds very little weight in regards to search engine optimization. What you want in a domain name is something that is easy to say, easy to spell, easy to remember, AND includes keyword phrases.

I'm not contradicting myself, even though it might sound like it. Just trying to make your life easier :) . Please read this to understand: .

Now Edwin - using WordTracker, I only see 8 searches a day for "mortgage basics". I DO think that you should brand your domain/site with the local info (New York or NYC) because local search is HOT and only getting hotter with time. People are searching smarter and looking for local business online using city names, zip codes, etc.

In fact, here are the number of searches PER DAY according to WordTracker:

7719 new york city
7116 new york
862 nyc

The domain name MortgageLoansNYC.com is available.

"Mortgage Loans" gets over 1,900 searches/day.

The order doesnt matter. The domain doesnt even really matter. You want something that sounds good, is easy to spell/remember AND contains a keyword phrase (or two). But you dont want something that looks weird or looks spammy.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Great........

Postby edwinnyc » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:01 am

edwinnyc

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:52 am

In regards to the domain name, no - I wouldnt worry about it. You can optimize the main page for a longer keyword phrase that includes the short phrase... And you will optimize each page of your site individually anyway.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Hummm interesting...

Postby edwinnyc » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:15 pm

edwinnyc

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:04 am

Glad I could help :D

I'm sure you're not the only one with this question, so thanks for posting it and opening such a good discussion!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting