[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - domain names with dashes and without • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

domain names with dashes and without

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

domain names with dashes and without

Postby edwinnyc » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:31 am

hey guys...good morning to everyone, getting ready to go the beach.... 8)

What are the pros and cons of creating domain names with dashes with them vs not using dashes in terms of seo.

How would spiders read a domain name that is written like this

www.birthdaypartyclownsideas.com would it rank for both keyword phrases listed below or just one of them.

since there are two keyword phrases this domain would cover which would be www.birthdaypartyideas.com vs www.birthdaypartyclown.com

ex:

www.fun-clown-entertainment.com

www.funclownentertainment.com
edwinnyc

Postby robert adams » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:19 pm

it may not show up for either one.

search engines are very literal.

nobody would ever type in:
birthdaypartyclownsideas

all in one word so you may not get any hits based solely on the domain name.

if you put the dashes/hyphens in between the words, the the search engines see them as individual words.

if you use underscores, the search engines ignore them and see it as all one word as well.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Bonnie Lowe » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:06 pm

I blogged about the pros and cons of using dashes... perhaps this will help you...

Bonnie Lowe

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:20 pm

If a domain name will have more than 2 words, I dash it. 2 words get no dash. That is only done if I can register it one way and I need to make a choice.

I will always try to register the domain name both with and without and use re-directs for the second one. When you're telling someone to go to your domain, it's much easier to tell and to remember without the dashes. If I have a domain that I'm printing on business cards, t-shirts and such, I like the readability of the dashes.

Bottom line is register both if you can. :wink:
Oregon Coast Guy

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:49 pm

Go to Google and do a search for your keyword phrase, such as "birthday party ideas":

http://www.google.com/search?&q=birthday+party+ideas

See how they bold each search word found in the URLs? :)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby robert adams » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:32 am

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:18 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:18 am

Oregon Coast Guy

Postby Alan Petersen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:37 pm

Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby carrie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:40 am

I too say to register both. Another tip is to interlink the two.

I have a website where I sell products on the domain name with no dashes (wallpapertrends.com) and a blog that promotes those products on the domain name with dashes (wallpaper-trends.com). I have each of these domain names hosted at different webhosts (hostgator & angelichost).

They link to each other so there's a benefit there. Plus, when someone searches on Google for "Wallpaper Trends" my site shows up as much as FOUR times, not just once or twice. :wink:
carrie
Elite Member

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting