[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Moving My Sites Again and Feeling Anxious! • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Moving My Sites Again and Feeling Anxious!

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Moving My Sites Again and Feeling Anxious!

Postby eBookWriter » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:42 am

After a few months at 1&1.com, I think I've been convinced to move my sites. I'm happy with the uptime. But, the control panel there isn't cpanel as I'm used to. Doesn't have a File Manager tool that I'd grown used to having. The tech and customer service leaves much to be desired. Which after today, is the reason I'm considering the switch. Too, some sites I wanted to build aren't going to be compatible with their hosting service. I don't want/can't afford to pay two or three different plans. HostGator seems as if it'll be what I need. I hope.

I don't know how much of an issue this is, but I did see that they allow 50,000 INODES per account. Which I'm guessing is you can have up to that many files and folders, although size of same can be whatever? 1&1, I discovered allows 256,000. But, I don't see this sort of restriction in my other hosting service--Hosting Matters--terms of service. First thing one might ask is, "Why would you need so many, anyway?" Still, I'm wondering why the restriction in the first place?

Too, if I remember correctly, last time I moved, I had to change the dns first before I could upload my files. Not a problem for the domains I manage myself. But, if one is supposed to quietly change a site from the old to the new, how does one do that when the dns management is out of your control? I didn't have this dilemma when I moved to 1&1.

I have four domain names that are part of my present package with 1&1. Have heard it's a hassle to get them to let the domains go. I can't afford to pay any big ransom for them, so I imagine I'll probably have to kiss them a fond farewell and come up with replacement names. Anyone else ever have to do this? I'd be interested to hear how it went regardless of who the host company was.

Okay, thanks for listening to my wimp/whine/inane chatter/ on the subject. Just needed to hash out my stresses/fears/insecurities before I do this. If Hosting Matters had bigger packages for a reasonable price, it'd be a no brainer for me. But they don't, so here I am . . . once again teetering on the edge of the cliff before I jump . . .

:)
Anita

eBookWriter

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:17 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby eBookWriter » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:33 pm

It makes sense, Lynn. But, truthfully, I don't really know if those domains are in my name or what. They were free with my package, so I don't have control of them. So that's my problem. Since I don't have control of them, I'd have to let them know I wanted to move.

I'd be happy to pay the $6.95 a year for them, but according to others who've tried to move away, they have demanded as much as $50 per name to let go control of them. Can't really afford that at this time. I don't have control of my domain name at Hosting Matters either, but I do pay for that one each year. I don't think I'll have trouble with them when I decide to move that site over. I wouldn't mind being able to transfer that domain to GoDaddy as I pay $15 a year for it.

I've learned my lesson! :oops: Don't get sucked in by the free domain names! Since I wanted to be able to get my sites up and running on HG without 1&1 knowing it, I finally decided to suck it up, and start over. Only one of the four domains I had at 1&1 was totally up and running. The others were in various stages of development, so no one's really aware of them. If I happen not to have trouble getting the other domains, well, then, I'll have those too. I'm hoping to ditch 1&1 by Monday. Should have everything in place and live by then.

Thanks for your help! :)
Anita
eBookWriter

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:27 pm

Good luck!

That's a shame about problems with the domain name. I am not familiar with their policies though.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Maggie » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:53 am

Is there any way you can keep your domain's alive there without paying too much - in other words, can you keep the registration and forward any existing traffic to your new domains??

If they had a cheap hosting package that would allow you to do that, then keeping the domains live for some time , et 3-6 months, certainly ought to send the search engines to your new sites.

Margaret

ps This is one of the main reasons for avoiding free domain name packages. If you have to let the domain go, the registrar only has to put up a directory site full of advertising to make an absolute bundle on the traffic you have gained for the site.

I use 000domains.com for my "important" domain registrations.
Maggie

Postby Publisher-For-You » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:01 pm

Here's a suggestion that might help for the future. Hire consultants.

Don't try to figure everything out yourself, or you may get sucked in to nonsense like it sounds maybe 1 and 1 is dishing out.

Lynn has a special attention section of this forum for only $5 per month. I'd join that section, and get her advice on any major decisions you make. Losing control of your domains (if that's what happened) is a major blunder that is easily avoided with just a bit of help.

This is probably overkill for you, but as example, this company of webhosting experts will answer all questions you submit, for $30/month.

https://platinumservermanagement.com/

If you have access to reliable third party experts, you don't need to believe whatever your host tells you.

Best of luck.
Publisher-For-You

Postby eBookWriter » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:50 am

P-F-Y, thanks for your response! I used to be a member of TIID, so I plan to join Lynn's new site when I can. Can't afford big time consultants at this time. While my sites were hosted at 1&1, only one domain I got from them was live, and it wasn't getting all that much traffic. So little, in fact, I never got any emails from even spammers.

With the new domains now at HG, I'll begin to do more to promote them all. I feel pretty good about the move. Just have one more site to move over. but that's with a different host, and I'm hoping it'll go okay. The only reason I want to move the last one is because I need to free up some cash for other things--like joining Lynn's special site. Been with this host company for seven years. I like them. So it's hard to make this decision. If they offered comparable plans I'd stay. But their biggest plan is for a gig and limited add ons for $36 a month. My present plan 750MB/limited features is the same price as HG's Swamp Croc package. Just feel it makes sense to use that money for promoting.

Thanks again for your help!

Anita
eBookWriter

Postby eBookWriter » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:19 am

Maggie, hi! Yes, they have cheaper packages, but none that would let me host that many domains on them. Too, I was with them only a few months. Maybe that'll be a good thing--and the reason why I hadn't developed much traffic for the one site I had going live there. None of the sites in my sig are domains from 1&1, fortunately. DreamWind Whispers is more or less controlled by Hosting Matters, but it's not a free domain.

The other three domains in my sig I got from Hosting Revolution. The new ones I got to replace those at 1&1 are from GoDaddy, so I'm okay with all of them. Have one domain for my son at Yahoo. But, I'll go check out 000domains. Haven't heard of them till now. I have at least three more domains I'd like to get. Well, probably more than that, if I get a name for each of my novels as is suggested . . . but we'll see.

Now I understand why I see those directory pages when I type in an address and it doesn't go to any specific site! Generally, I click out of them. Not what I wanted so I don't stay.

Thanks for your reply! Appreciate it so much!

Anita
eBookWriter

Postby Domain Name Guy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:08 pm

Depending on certain circumstances, it might or might not be possible to
move all 4 domain name registrations out of 1&1 if that's what you intend
to do. Moving your websites is one thing, transferring your domain names
is another.

Do a for each one and note the line "registrant". If it shows yours,
coupled with showing your contact details (hopefully), then transferring all
4 out won't be as big a problem as you might imagine.

Edit: are the 4 domain names the ones in your sigfile? Among them, only
DreamWindWhispers is listed to Hosting Matters, the rest are registered to
you.

Feel free to contact me at Dave AT DaveZan Dot com, although provide as
many details as possible (e.g. domain names in question) so I can have a
look and give feedback. I'll reply as soon as I can.
Domain Name Guy

Postby eBookWriter » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:17 am

Hi Dave,

No, the domains in my sigfile aren't the ones I got free at 1&1. I've had those for a while now.

I did the WHOIS for those at 1&1, and I'm surprised to find they are registered to me. But under my name and details is CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED. What does that really mean? I see it with some of the other domains, as well. All my contact details are there; the phone number is no longer valid as we switched VOIP services recently, ditching the old number in the process.

The cancellation process was a bit confusing, but in the fine print, it does say if I want to transfer the domains, they will do it automatically. Thing is, I've seen enough complaints from other former clients of 1&1 to wonder if they will honor it for me without asking for a ransom. So, we'll see. Discovered that I could change the nameservers from the control panel. Something I hadn't noticed before. So I did.

While I don't anticipate any problems with moving from Hosting Matters, I'm a little unsure how to go about moving the site and getting it live before I cancel when they have control of the domain name. No way to change anything there on my own, and DWW is my biggest and oldest site. At least there's no form to fill out, just email billing and it's done.

Thanks again for your help, Dave. Appreciate it. Hopefully, it'll go more smoothly than I think with 1&1, and with HM, too!
:)
Anita
eBookWriter

Postby Domain Name Guy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:41 am

Domain Name Guy

Postby eBookWriter » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:50 pm

Everything's unlocked and I have the auth codes. I'm breathing into a bag, now. Slow and easy . . . I can do this . . . I can . . . I will . . .! 8)
eBookWriter

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:57 am

LOL :D Glad to hear things are moving along smoothly!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby rfresh » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:31 pm

I think it's ok to have your domains and your web sites at the same place - provided - you have complete and total control of all of your domains and web hosting plans. I hear many say you should keep them separated but I think this is, pardon the xpression, an old wives tale because what happened in the past is that someone would register their domain at a free place and didn't know the domain wasn't in their name (they didn't pay for it in the first place so...) - then later when they go to move their domains for what ever reason, they find out the real owners have no reason to unlock them!

You wouldn't believe how many pre-sale emails I get from folks who are in the same boat - they don't own their domains as they thought they did and they can't get them moved!!

That's one of the reasons I insisted that my web hosting company provide my customers with complete and total control of their domains and all other products that we sell.
rfresh

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting