[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Misspelled domain names. • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Misspelled domain names.

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Misspelled domain names.

Postby karenh » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:05 pm

karenh

Postby rmjvol » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:50 pm

rmjvol

Postby sugarrae » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:07 pm

sugarrae
Elite Member

Postby Tom Fosson » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:50 pm

Both... Well-known, established and trademarked names belonging to well-funded and large companies would be the most likely source of any hot water. They usually win such differences by being able to out-spend and/or buffalo their targets. If 'push came to shove', however, and the target had enough money, free speech would probably prevail in an 'intentially mispelled nomenclature for a domain name' type situation. Is whitehouse.org (or is it .com?) still a '****' site? You'd think if anyone could go after an intentionally misdirected and spoofed domain owner, the guvment would. (The official site is )

Then, you have some really smart people that have made killings on eBay purchases by searching on mispellings of eBay offered items - such as 'lab tops', 'dimond', etc. I once read a newspaper article describing how one man bought a $1000 dollar value laptop computer for only $40 that way. The man said he always finds unbelieveble bargains that way.

It really boils down, IMHO, to one's ethics and how far one will go to earn money. I know it could be done and how to do it, but my self-respect would suffer if I believed I had to resort to trickery and deceit to make money. If I know myself to be "up front" and "straight forward" in my dealings with people, then my self-respect feels good and grows as a result. Whether I make money or lose some is secondary, but it usually results in an overall net gain. :)

That is not intended to be negative towards anyone that does resort to such tactics. Many would consider it simply smart business strategy. I merely described why I, personally, would try other methods. I wish anyone using such tactics the best of luck. Just don't count on me to be one of your customers - I'd simply re-check my spelling and try again to get to where I wanted to be. :wink:

Cheers,
Tom
Tom Fosson

Postby karenh » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:23 pm

That's an interesting take on it, Tom. I was thinking of it from the reverse angle - that if someone was searching for a particular store, they'd be happy to be redirected to where they originally intended - instead of getting an error page. My concern was with the ethics and legality toward the owner of the big name site itself. But I definitely see your point, and I feel vaguely ashamed of myself!
karenh

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting