[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Do YOU Really Own Your Web Site? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Do YOU Really Own Your Web Site?

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Do YOU Really Own Your Web Site?

Postby webturtle » Tue May 23, 2006 7:54 pm

This subject came up on forum I'm part of recently and it occurred to me that I'd never discussed it with my audience so I wrote a blog article on it at .

If you have a web site, chances are you hired someone to help you get it launched. If you did, you have three primary components under the umbrella of "a web site." There is your domain name, also known as a "URL" or your web address. There is your web hosting - the space you rent on a server out there somewhere, to put your web site on. And then there is your web site itself, which is a combination of HTML files and images which are uploaded to that web hosting you rent.

The most cautious rule of thumb is that you should have three separate providers - a domain name registrar, a web hosting company, and a web site designer. The reason many web experts believe this is that if you have a problem with one, you still have control over the other two. For example, if your web hosting company causes you problems, you have your web content, and you have access to your domain, and you can easily shut off one hosting account, find another, and move your site. If your web designer goes bad, you can at least change access to your site, move it or provide the information to a new designer. Conversely, if you have all three components in one place, you run the risk of finding yourself without a web site, perhaps temporarily, or worst case, having to start from scratch.

Although I'm personally a believer in keeping it all separate, the majority of business people don't think like that and a great many folks have gone for an "all in one" situation where the hosting, domain and web site are with one provider. Whatever your scenario is, there is one absolutely critical piece of information you should take from this article. You MUST have administrative control over all three components of your web presence: domain, hosting and content. You don't have to DO anything with it - except print out the access information and stash it away. You can rely on someone to manage it all for you, like I do for most of my clients. But if you don't have this information, you don't really own your web site!

Even if you have a wonderful relationship with your service provider, stop and ask yourself the following:

* Do you know the name of the domain registration company?
* Do you have the username and password to access your domain account?
* Are you certain that YOU are listed as the legal owner of the domain?
* Do you know where your web site is hosted?
* Do you have the "FTP" (this stands for file transfer protocol) username and password to get to your web site on the host server?

A frightening number of new clients come to me without this information, and very often, they've already run into trouble and need help. In some cases, they have had to start all over with a new web site. In one situation, a client almost lost her domain name because the "all in one" company she had paid for a web site had made themselves the legal owners of the domain!

Don't wait until you have a problem - make sure YOU own your web site, right now.

(c) Eileen Parzek, 2006

Eileen Parzek is an award winning graphic designer and writer providing digital and print graphic design and web design services. Always found at the intersection of information, creativity and technology, her business, Business Design Studio () helps small businesses make a big impression, increase their reach and grow.
You are welcome to link to this article. It may only be republished with full bio and credit link to http://www.businessdesignstudio.com
webturtle

Postby CorpRebel » Tue May 23, 2006 8:20 pm

Great info, Eileen!

You're so right ... IF you can't control it, you DON'T own it. One of the things I do is put all this critical info (sites, affiliate programs, etc.) in files and copy to CD and store with my backups in safe-deposit box.

I do not believe in one-size-fits-all scenarios at all. That even extends to my hardware purchases for similar reasons. BUT that's another story! :lol:

Thanx!

Rick Wilson aka CorpRebel 8)
CorpRebel

Take control of what you own

Postby Teena » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:08 am

Excellent article, Eileen!

I have had quite a few potential clients approach me and ask me to help them gain control of their websites ... because their 'web designer' or 'friend' had all the login details for domain, hosting, and website pages, and was now unwilling to hand them over.

I must admit I was totally surprised to hear this a couple of years ago, but it's become a common theme, I'm afraid.

It's like these people :
[1] are being held to ransom
[2] are not listed as the owners of their own domains or hosting accounts
[3] are unable to update / make changes to their own site
[4] are forced to pay others to make their updates for them
[5] are being overcharged for domains and hosting because the email notifications do not go directly to the real owners
[6] are stuck waiting for changes / corrections to be done when the webmaster can 'find time' to do it.

Any one of these reasons is a good enough reason to move away from that situation.

Gain control over your domain - make sure it's registered in YOUR name.

Get complete access to your hosting & website files - learn how to use the Control Panel to do simple things like creating a new email name, making changes to your website or uploading files.

Even if you don't want to do these things, you should have the 'right' to do them, and then find someone you're comfortable working with whom you can trust to do the work on time, at a price you agree to, quickly and professionally.

Don't let someone tell you, "Don't worry - I'll look after all this for you!"

Take control of your own website, hosting and domains today. Feel empowered!

Good luck
Teena!
Teena

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting