[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Upgrading phpBB • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Upgrading phpBB

Join us here to discuss community-based websites or business-models. Scripts, resources, marketing, management, profitability & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Upgrading phpBB

Postby Mindy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:31 am

Hi all,

My site was hacked recently - every single page on the site with a .htm or .html extension had malicious code added right before the </body> tag! :cry: :evil: I assume the culprits got in from a vulnerability in the older version of phpBB I'm using.

I cleaned up the mess, but want to make sure it doesn't happen again, so I now would like to upgrade to the latest version. I only have 2 mods (visual confirmation and inline ads). I have no idea how to get started. Do I need to re-install the entire package, or just update certain files? Is there a "how to upgrade phpBB for dummies" guide somewhere? :)

Thanks, everyone!

--Mindy
Mindy

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:55 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Mindy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:23 am

Thank you, Lynn! (And thanks, too, to Robert Adams, who offered to help, although I had already taken the plunge on my own!)

I wanted to share the method that worked for me. I asked my host to duplicate the database, and then I did a fresh install of phpBB which I put in a directory I called "forum2" (my existing forum is in a directory called "forum") and connected to the duplicated database. Once I realized all was well, I deleted the old version of phpBB and the old database, and changed the name of "forum2" to "forum" so everything was seamless and there was no down time (and no lost hair!) :D :lol:

Thanks again, everyone, for your help and support.
Mindy

Postby robert adams » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:30 pm

Great job Mindy :!: :!: :lol: :lol:

That is one of the safest ways to do it.

Just like I tell everyone, all the important stuff is in the database. You can completely delete all the phpbb files and you wont lose a single post, member etc.

Hey, your an expert at phpbb now, :wink: , but if you need any other help, just let me know.

robert

p.s. I just upgraded and installed a very larg MOD on a guys board tonite that was all in Danish and I couldn't read of word of what I was doing.
So far , it is all working. :shock: :wink:
robert adams
Elite Member

Return to Portals, Forums & Membership Sites