[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - phpBB basic set up - your recommendations? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

phpBB basic set up - your recommendations?

Join us here to discuss community-based websites or business-models. Scripts, resources, marketing, management, profitability & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

phpBB basic set up - your recommendations?

Postby Sandra » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:59 pm

I am setting up a phpBB forum for the first time. I'd like to make sure all my admin settings are right. Just a few questions I hope someone can answer for me.

1. I notice that many phpBB forums have html turned off and only the BBcode is on. Is there an advantage to leaving the html off?

2. Should I enable avatar uploading, or make people host remotely?

3. Any reason that I should not allow Username changes?

4. I can't find in the admin panel how to require people register before posting.

Thanks!
Sandra
Sandra
Elite Member

Postby karadawn » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:32 pm

I can't really tell you the pros and cons of the first three, but I do know how to set it so members are required to register before posting. When you log into your admin area, there is a section under Forum Admin that says "permissions". There you have the ability to change each forum so that user need to register before posting, but still have the ability to read without registering (or whatever combination you wish) ;).
karadawn

Postby Sandra » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:58 pm

Thanks for your help Kara, now I found it. :D

Thanks!
Sandra
Sandra
Elite Member

Postby Kevin Robb » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:15 pm

Kevin Robb

Postby Sandra » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:23 pm

Sandra
Elite Member

Postby Kevin Robb » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:14 pm

Kevin Robb

Postby robert adams » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:30 am

here is one reason not to allow html:
http://ezhostingexpress.com/testforum/v ... hp?p=16#16

here is another:
http://ezhostingexpress.com/testforum/viewtopic.php?t=2

these are examples of how your layout can be destroyed by html by using tables and iframes.
one of the hacks that is going around on phpbb board right now, is adding an iframe to the board that loads a web page that has a virus on it.
I could just as easily have added a script to run on the board that could do damage.

bbcode is fine for being creative with your text in your posts, and what else do you need to do in a text message.

just be aware of the dangers ,
luck,

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Sandra » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:35 pm

Robert

A big thank you for alerting me to the dangers of allowing html on the board. You're right the bbcode does all the same functions anyone would need. I will change that setting on my board right away.

Thanks!
Sandra
Sandra
Elite Member

Return to Portals, Forums & Membership Sites