This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Membership Site Software recommendation

Join us here to discuss community-based websites or business-models. Scripts, resources, marketing, management, profitability & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Membership Site Software recommendation

Postby daniellechonody » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:20 pm

I have a membership set up and have currently been using a password protected web page and forum to deliver content.

I would like to move to a membership site management software and have looked at Amember - but it's expensive!

I want to be able to have paid members who can access download pages and unpaid members who can access a forum.

Do you have any suggestions for other software that is available?

Thanks
Danielle
daniellechonody

Postby robert adams » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:48 am

I have a membership software that I sell. It is much, much cheaper than amember etc.
PM me about it if you wish.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby lindastacy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:37 am

There are many good membership site scripts available. I don't know which one Robert sells, but he seems to make good recommendations in general, so if it suits your needs, give it serious consideration.

I'd recommend making a prioritized list of the features you need and want to use to compare scripts. Not too long ago I was considering starting a membership site and researched many scripts. The "perfect" script didn't seem to exist for me, but I could get very close with several options. I started out without a good idea of what I wanted so it took me much longer to figure out what would work.

Some of the key features to consider are
- hosted service or install on your own server
- affiliate program for members
- compatible with 3rd party applications such as your forum, shopping cart, WordPress, and payment processors.
- scheduled content
- ease of customizing the design

I settled on Membership Manager Supreme (see if it's still in beta; if it is you'd have to be willing to deal with somewhat frequent upgrades for a little while).

Another I might have used is Launch Formula Marketing Lite

Also be aware of security issues involving file permissions (some scripts want you to set some file permissions at 777 which can be a security issue if they're in your public_html folder).
lindastacy

Postby terrapin719 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:18 pm

I'm using EasyMemberPro right now for my membership sites. It was $197 for an unlimited license when I purchased it, but it's only $97 right now for unlimited. It's pretty easy to use, the manual was easy to follow, and support has been great from the company. I've put in support questions on several occasions and gotten responses back really quick.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:51 pm

terrapin719 wrote:I'm using EasyMemberPro right now for my membership sites. It was $197 for an unlimited license when I purchased it, but it's only $97 right now for unlimited. It's pretty easy to use, the manual was easy to follow, and support has been great from the company. I've put in support questions on several occasions and gotten responses back really quick.

I noticed that it looked like you were using EMP. Been playing around with a couple of membership scripts (also aMember). I have it (EMP) too and when I went to your site it looked familiar somehow. Took me a while to figure out why! :lol:

How do you like it so far?

Thx!

Image 8)
CorpRebel

Postby terrapin719 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:37 am

So far I do like it. It's easy to use. Like most membership sites you've got to be choosy about your hosting, I'm using Hostgator right now. It wouldn't load up at all with my other hosting acct, which is a GoDaddy acct (goDaddy hosting hates scripts)
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:38 am

terrapin719 wrote:So far I do like it. It's easy to use. Like most membership sites you've got to be choosy about your hosting, I'm using Hostgator right now. It wouldn't load up at all with my other hosting acct,

It does seemt to be a clean look to it. Trying to see how to do "drip content" with it. Thought they offered that. Do you use that feature for your membership site?

... which is a GoDaddy acct (goDaddy hosting hates scripts)

GoDaddy hosting hates EVERYTHING! heh heh

I don't of ANYONE who doesn't have issues wth GoDaddy hosting. For all they brag about "top notch" hosting, they have alot of problems like that. They're good for getting domains at a good price but their hostig leaves alot to be desired.

Would never recommend their hosting. :wink:

Have Fun!

Image 8)
CorpRebel

Postby tknoppe » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:06 pm

Nope, Godaddy is ok for domain registration; but always recommend HostGator for hosting. ;)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:19 pm

What do you mean by drip content?
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:46 pm

terrapin719 wrote:What do you mean by drip content?

It's also called incremental content.

It adds content over time. You can add a bunch of content at once but the members keep getting a bit of it each month ONLY if they're paid up. And they don't get any content previous to their signup. So you let it "drip" to them every month, week or whatever you have set up for your members.

That way they don't signup and download most of the content and then refund and leave. Kinda encourages them to stay on IF they really want to keep getting the good content.

Image 8)
CorpRebel

Postby lisamariemary » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:27 pm

Oooh, drip content definitely sounds good. I've been so confused about how all of that is handled!

I'm totally new to running a membership site and I'm mostly just looking over Loretta's shoulder going, 'Ooh, what's that do? Ah, what's this thing do?' :D
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:53 pm

lisamariemary wrote:Oooh, drip content definitely sounds good. I've been so confused about how all of that is handled!

Most of the scripts I've come across so far don't have that feature. aMember has an addon plugin called "incremental content plugin" that costs extra to use with aMember.

On EMP's website:

Control download pages so new members can't download previous month's content. (Prevent people from joining and downloading all your content, then asking for a refund!)

If previous month's content are viewed, new members will be asked to pay a one-time fee to gain access.

Have to check that out.

I'm totally new to running a membership site and I'm mostly just looking over Loretta's shoulder going, 'Ooh, what's that do? Ah, what's this thing do?' :D

:lol:

Have Fun!

Image 8)
CorpRebel

Postby terrapin719 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:31 am

I can add several months content at one time and label it by month. March, April, May, June, July, etc.... Then for the member to be able to access that content they have to have been a member in that month. If they were not a member during that month the system allows them to purchase access to months that have passed by. I could upload April right now and it wouldn't be accessible until April 1st.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby lisamariemary » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:41 am

CorpRebel wrote: :lol:
Have Fun!

Thanks!! Hahaha!!

:lol:
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby lisamariemary » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:50 am

terrapin719 wrote:I can add several months content at one time and label it by month. March, April, May, June, July, etc.... Then for the member to be able to access that content they have to have been a member in that month. If they were not a member during that month the system allows them to purchase access to months that have passed by. I could upload April right now and it wouldn't be accessible until April 1st.

OHHHH! That's super groovy! See how much I didn't know? LOL!
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Next

Return to Portals, Forums & Membership Sites