This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Forum Viewing Preferences

Join us here to discuss community-based websites or business-models. Scripts, resources, marketing, management, profitability & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Forum Viewing Preference

Use "posts since last visit" button
22%
Go straight to the forums of interest
44%
Use a combination of both
33%

Total votes : 9

Forum Viewing Preferences

Postby Kit Singleton » Sun May 25, 2008 5:15 am

A few days ago, I was talking to a friend about something that was on a forum. Since we were on the phone at the time, I couldn't just give her a link so I told her to just hit "posts since your last visit." This is a link I use regularly but obviously she didn't. This brings me to the question:

Which way do you prefer to read posts and why?
Kit Singleton

Postby robert adams » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:17 am

this is an interesting question.
I do support for phpbb, on thier main support board and elsewhere. I have a certain way of viewing posts in the areas that I work in. I have been doing this for so long that I forget that there are other ways to do things.

I hate to admit it, but I never new the "view posts since last visit" function was even there for a long time.

I simply go to the forum I am working in. I read /answer all the new posts by continually using the browser's back button.
Then I move on to the next forum and do the same.
Then, I go back to the first one and start the process over.

That way, I do not lose the "new post" icon for those I have not read yet.

I am very fast at this, so never had a reason to change my methods.

( remember that the support board on phpbb.com is very, very busy. they can have several hundred questions/posts a day in just the main support forum.)

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Kit Singleton » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:45 pm

I'm with you, Robert. When I'm moderating I go straight to the particular forums. When I'm a member, I tend to use the "posts since last visit" link. However, on this site, I tend to do the "last visit" link too. Must be all the good info. ;)
Kit Singleton

Postby Mel » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:20 pm

I always go straight to the forums I'm interested in. The "posts since last visit" way of doing it is annoying because I may not be interested in some of the specific forums, yet all the posts within it show up in the list.
Mel

Postby johndilbeck » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:15 am

Hi Kit,

I use a bookmark to go first to the forum I moderate to see what is happening there.

After that, I go to the forum index page and click the "posts since last visit" search link.

When the search page opens, I look to see how many pages are returned. Then, I open each search page in a separate tab.

I like to read things in order, so I then go to the last search page and scan the list of topics. Whenever I see a topic I want to look at, I open it in a new tab. When I've finished opening the topics I want to read from that search page, I close its tab.

Then I read the topics that were opened and close each tab when I finish. Lots of times, when I read the first message, I know I don't want to read the rest of the thread, so I just close the tab and go to the next one.

Then I repeat it for each of the original search pages.

When I did this a few minutes ago, it returned 69 threads on two search pages.

It sounds like it takes a long time, but I went through those 69 threads and read about 15 of them in about 20 minutes.

I've been doing this on various forums for years and it is an efficient system for how I participate.

Act on your dream!

JD
johndilbeck

Postby Kit Singleton » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:22 am

Ya' gotta' love that efficiency factor! ;)
Kit Singleton

Return to Portals, Forums & Membership Sites