This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

 

 


Forum spammers

Join us here to discuss community-based websites or business-models. Scripts, resources, marketing, management, profitability & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Forum spammers

Postby MommyEnterprises » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:29 am

Anyone have a solution for the spammers on PHPBB2 forums. My host had suggested that I get my own server from all the bandwith the spammers where using. She thought I could just add a captcha code to stop them but I already have that on the forum. I just deleted one of my forums but don't want to delete a couple that I have had for a long time.
User avatar
MommyEnterprises
 
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:23 am
Location: California

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:21 pm

Robert suggested this mod in your other thread:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=552845

Did you install it? I have Robert installing it here - should be a huge help!
User avatar
Lynn Terry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14504
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:01 am
Location: TN, USA

Postby MommyEnterprises » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:43 pm

I am going to try and install it tonight. The spammers are driving my host nuts.
User avatar
MommyEnterprises
 
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:23 am
Location: California

Postby robert adams » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:07 pm

MommyEnterprises wrote:I am going to try and install it tonight. The spammers are driving my host nuts.

so, how's it going?

need any help?

it is a pretty simple MOD, only three files to edit.

I was just telling Lynn, that in over a year that I know of, I have not heard of any spammer bots getting past this MOD.

Now, if it is real humans ( I use the term loosely in this context. ), then there is not much any of us can do about that problem.


robert
User avatar
robert adams
Elite Member
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:07 am

Postby MommyEnterprises » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:49 pm

I have it installed on one of my forums now.

http://www.mommyenterprises.com/forum

What I did was create an image file with the authorization code and put the link to where to get it.

Im going to put it on my other forums tommorow.
User avatar
MommyEnterprises
 
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:23 am
Location: California

Postby robert adams » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:41 pm

MommyEnterprises wrote:I have it installed on one of my forums now.

http://www.mommyenterprises.com/forum

What I did was create an image file with the authorization code and put the link to where to get it.

Im going to put it on my other forums tommorow.


great work. see how easy that was?

robert
User avatar
robert adams
Elite Member
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:07 am

Postby MommyEnterprises » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:01 am

It was actually pretty easy. I am going to have to find a way to make my forum look better though. I had a theme but reverted back to the subsilver a couple days ago because the theme I had didn't have the captcha code option for some reason.
User avatar
MommyEnterprises
 
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:23 am
Location: California

Postby robert adams » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:37 am

MommyEnterprises wrote:It was actually pretty easy. I am going to have to find a way to make my forum look better though. I had a theme but reverted back to the subsilver a couple days ago because the theme I had didn't have the captcha code option for some reason.

Now that you have the RAC MOD installed, just turn off the captcha in your admin panel. It is obsolete now anyway, and is just an extra step in the registration process.
The spammer bots "cracked" it a long time ago.


The reason your other style did not show it, was because the style was out of date. If it is missing the visual confirmation code, then it is missing other things as well.

robert
User avatar
robert adams
Elite Member
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:07 am

Postby MommyEnterprises » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:22 pm

I just tried this mod on another forum and it isn't working. It did have a different theme, I tried it with the wrong authorization code and it let me register. So I switched to the subsilver theme and corrected the one file I need to from that directory and its still letting the wrong auth code to go through.

I just disabled my board because its being SUPER spammed. My host is getting flooded with confirmation emails that are bouncing back to her.
User avatar
MommyEnterprises
 
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:23 am
Location: California

Postby robert adams » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:06 pm

MommyEnterprises wrote:I just tried this mod on another forum and it isn't working. It did have a different theme, I tried it with the wrong authorization code and it let me register. So I switched to the subsilver theme and corrected the one file I need to from that directory and its still letting the wrong auth code to go through.

I just disabled my board because its being SUPER spammed. My host is getting flooded with confirmation emails that are bouncing back to her.


can you give me a link to the board that isnt working for you and the name of the style that you are wanting to use, etc.

you can PM it to me if you wish.

robert
User avatar
robert adams
Elite Member
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:07 am

Postby dondada » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:19 pm

hi robert

please kindly give a step by step guide on how to install it on a forum

thanks
dondada
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:44 am

Postby karynsolo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:37 pm

robert adams wrote:
MommyEnterprises wrote:I am going to try and install it tonight. The spammers are driving my host nuts.

so, how's it going?

need any help?

it is a pretty simple MOD, only three files to edit.

I was just telling Lynn, that in over a year that I know of, I have not heard of any spammer bots getting past this MOD.

Now, if it is real humans ( I use the term loosely in this context. ), then there is not much any of us can do about that problem.


robert


I am about to install phpbb forum on my hosting biz site, seems like you know how to kick spammers in the butt before they get through the door, I would love to know how to set the files to do this. I have my own servers but have not incorporated the forum yet for the very fear of bandwidth hogs busting things up with spam.
User avatar
karynsolo
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby robert adams » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:09 pm

karynsolo wrote:
robert adams wrote:
MommyEnterprises wrote:I am going to try and install it tonight. The spammers are driving my host nuts.

so, how's it going?

need any help?

it is a pretty simple MOD, only three files to edit.

I was just telling Lynn, that in over a year that I know of, I have not heard of any spammer bots getting past this MOD.

Now, if it is real humans ( I use the term loosely in this context. ), then there is not much any of us can do about that problem.


robert


I am about to install phpbb forum on my hosting biz site, seems like you know how to kick spammers in the butt before they get through the door, I would love to know how to set the files to do this. I have my own servers but have not incorporated the forum yet for the very fear of bandwidth hogs busting things up with spam.

Hi, the anti spam MOD I was referring to can be found here:
RAC

You open the included file and read the instructions. You will be editing three of the phpbb files. You will have to decide what you want the special code to be, then put that into the proper place in the code you insert into the includes/page_header.php file.

then you will need to decide where to show the prospective members what the special code is. Sometimes I put it on a new page and link to that page from the registration page.
Sometimes I put the special code right there on the registration page.

You can do it any way that you wish. That is the reason that it works. there is no way for the spammer bots to figure it out.

If you need any help with it, just let me know.

robert
User avatar
robert adams
Elite Member
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:07 am


Return to Portals, Forums & Membership Sites

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron