[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - How to create a forum • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

How to create a forum

Join us here to discuss community-based websites or business-models. Scripts, resources, marketing, management, profitability & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

How to create a forum

Postby newsonthegreen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi all - I am interested in learning how to create a membership discussion forum.

I wanted to find out: how difficult is it to develop a discussion forum/board - with user id's? Is there software available that makes this type of thing easy? I have seen several of you use phpbb or vbulletin.
I am pretty new to creating sites, so if you have a source that would make this task fairly easy, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help?

Kelly
newsonthegreen

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:59 am

Hi Kelly,

I am using phpbb here, which you can get free at phpbb.com. Though I really like vbulletin - so definitely look into that one.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Warren Contreras » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:57 am

A lot of web hosts have Fantastico so you can install several Forums to try with no real effort, then if you don't like them it's just as easy to uninstall them.
Warren Contreras

Postby AuctionCUT.com » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:57 pm

I also use phpbb.com. As Warren mentions it's easily installed with Fantastico & then pretty easy to personalise.
AuctionCUT.com

Postby AstarothSolutions » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:17 pm

phpbb & vbulletin certainly appear to be the market leaders at present.

It certainly isnt that difficult to create your own forum software (the difficulty comes when trying to make it easily customisable so others can install it and change options etc) but given the price of both (free and under $100) it doesnt seem worth the effort for many
AstarothSolutions

Postby Warren Contreras » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Warren Contreras

Postby queenofkaos » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:28 pm

I used a Simple Machines Forum and really liked it but I found that there was more general info on the technical end of it around for the phpbb boards so I am thinking to go with that.

I'm not really sure what the major difference is between them.
queenofkaos
Elite Member

Postby Mommyland » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:40 pm

I currently use Vbullitan and Love it. SMF (as listed by Warren) is a really close second. I personally had a hard time with PHPBB
Mommyland
Elite Member

Postby shri » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:42 pm

I personally like phpbb. They recently released the latest version phpbb3.0.0. I installed it on one of my sites. It's easy to install, customise & (most importantly) works very good.

Shri

shri

Postby kayanat » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:09 am

If a person create 2 accounts on a forum using 1 computer, can the admins of the forum know that? Because me & my friend r planning to create a forum, & this matter has been on our minds since. Thnx to any1 in advance for answering.
Last edited by kayanat on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kayanat

Postby tknoppe » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:37 am

tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:22 pm

CorpRebel

Return to Portals, Forums & Membership Sites