[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Portal? Methinks that is what I am building! • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Portal? Methinks that is what I am building!

Join us here to discuss community-based websites or business-models. Scripts, resources, marketing, management, profitability & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Portal? Methinks that is what I am building!

Postby Troy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:46 pm

Hi gang,
I recently was given a new toy to play with called Joomla, by my webhosting service.

Offhand, I couldn't think of anything to do with it, but build an affiliate marketing "portal", so here goes.

I was wandering if anyone else has used joomla before? I am impressed by the traffic that I get when "blog and ping". Could anyone explain to me what "tag and ping" means???

I am also going to be adding a place to submit articles, as soon as I wade through the tons of scripting, and anything else that is worthwile to read for other affiliate marketers. It is at http://dropshippers-directory.com/affiliates/ until I get a domain name for it. Any input would be appreciated.
Troy

Postby jaidai » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:34 pm

I don't use joomla, I find it too limiting - prefer drupal. Here is a link that can give you some info on it: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?topic=4364.msg35306

Tag and ping is simply using other bookmarking sites like del.icio.us, furl, blink, and technorati to post links to your web sites under categories you select (tag) and allowing those services to make your link public (ping).

The problem with this method is that people create their own categories or tags, so that a tag can mean more than one thing. And if a tag means more than one thing you are not really getting targeted traffic if someone happens to find your link. Or if your tag is not a familar word, nine out of ten people won't click on it.

example: you have a site that talks about caterpillers (the insect). (silly example, i know). Well one person who likes cats (felines) uses cat as a tag for links to different sites dedicated to animals, the next person (who has a construction business) uses cat to log links to places that sell catapiller construction discounts, another person, who is looking for places to have CAT scans done will use cat to log their finds and so on...

Another way I have seen people use the whole tag and ping deal is to create some tags on the listed above sites (with links to your site) and then put a link on your site to tag that you created on the above site (hope that makes sense). It creates a type of reciprocal linking, I do not know if this practice is considered illegal by google since I have not seen any news or forum posts regarding how google actually feels about this.

hope the above helps
jaidai

Joomla

Postby Troy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:34 pm

I see what you mean by "limited". I just got started with this toy, and already want a bigger one. :twisted:
It is limited, as it dont allow, as far as i can tell, people to comment, nor does it allow scripting in the html editors. It just kills it on publish. Anyway, I want to add tools that affiliates can use, like keyword and density analyzers, SEO tools and things that might be useful to affiliate marketers. I see that I will have to do some hard scripting myself!
Thanks for the reply!
Troy

Postby jaidai » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:54 am

You should try looking at drupal: www.drupal.org

It allows what you are looking for and MORE!
jaidai

Postby magicmic » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:55 am

Drupal is definitely a great CMS, however, Joomla has its uses too. For some reason, I can put up a site faster using Joomla. I guess it all boils down to the function of your site and personal preference.
magicmic

Return to Portals, Forums & Membership Sites