[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Buying and selling of ebooks: Is there a market? Where? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Buying and selling of ebooks: Is there a market? Where?

Writing Ebooks, Formatting Ebooks, Selling Ebooks, Giving Ebooks Away, Rebrandible Ebooks... Join us here to discuss creating and selling Info Products, Reports, Guides & Ebooks...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Buying and selling of ebooks: Is there a market? Where?

Postby oddsod » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:04 pm

Writing an ebook is all very well and I may get around to it one day :). But, in the interim, if I wish to acquire the rights (copyright + full repro) to some ebooks where could I look?

Contacting individual authors with a form letter is too much like SPAM (and hard work). But to a lot of them it must make sense to take a lump sum now in exchange for their revenue stream. Considering how many ebook authors are out there now there must be thousands who'd be willing to sell. If I can find them.

Any ideas?
oddsod

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:55 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby oddsod » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:08 pm

oddsod

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:49 pm

The only suggestion I know to make is to post the offer in discussion forums that are already active (ablake, warriors, etc etc)... the word will get around if you are willing to buy these set-up's outright. I assume that is what you meant - that you want to purchase the copyright, the website, the mailing list... the whole kit 'n kaboodle.

Of course, you could also approach people directly - but you mentioned not wanting to go that route...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby oddsod » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:39 am

Yes, I would be interested in buying the rights to ebooks (preferably those worth at least a few thousand dollars), and that suggestion about ablake/warriors sounds er, sound. Any other forums where ebook writers/owners may hang out?

Sites come up for sale for all manner of reasons. Some sites are created solely for the purpose of resale. They are known by different names like templates, cookie-cutters, directories (ODP/wiki clones) etc with one major commonality: they were all built for resale. Then there's the other end of the market where sites change hands as thriving, living, profitable businesses. Across that whole spectrum there's opportunity for ebooks. Maybe you should start a forum for such exchange of ebooks and ezines, Lynn. ;) When you're the one who's created the market others will find it difficult to catch up.
oddsod

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:57 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby oddsod » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:07 pm

oddsod

Why not have one developed for you?

Postby jbsmith » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:13 pm

For a thousand dollars, you could provide an outline to a ghostwriter and
have your ebook developed for you - in fact, for a few hundred more,
you could have the sales letter and website developed for you as well.

It's up to you to identify the market and and provide rough outline of
structure - but after that, you outsource all of the work.

I-ve done this on occassion where I see a big opportunity in a given market,
but don't have the degree of knowledge that makes releasing a product
quickly that feasible.

Jeff
jbsmith

Postby DennisLively » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:13 pm

Hello There!

I frequently get asked to ghostwrite e-books and do take on a project or two now and then. Just finishing up a great book on learning how to play the guitar for a friend and JV partner.

One important thing to always be sure you do before getting started is to have a Non-disclosure/non-compete agreement signed with the ghostwriter. Also, make sure that everything is written down...i.e, terms, remuneration, deadlines, formatting, copyright issues (use a Title 17 release form and have the ghostwriter sign over any and all rights, sell it as a "work for hire". that sort of thing) AND agreed upon before paying out anything!

I've inherited a few projects where the buyer was completely taken advantage of...maybe on purpose, maybe not.

And one common sense thing, that I'm sure you'd think of, is to ask for samples of their work. A LOT of people think that they can write an e-book...it ain't as easy as they think...and they get in over their heads and can't finish the project.

You can get some excellent products this way...just do your due diligence!

Hope that helps you. Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season.

Dennis Lively
DennisLively

Postby oddsod » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:35 pm

oddsod

Postby DennisLively » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:21 pm

Hello There!

If you want to email me, I'll send you a copy of the non-compete form that my lawyer wrote up for my use.

How I handle things is this...If i write a book that I am truly interested in, I choose to either:

1. Put up my own site, set up my own affiliate program and sell it myself;

OR

2. Sell multiple copies of the book with Private Label Rights...this allows the purchaser to brand the book in their own name and sell the resale rights or the master resale rights to others. I retain the copyright for future uses.

If I am contacted to ghostwrite, it's an entirely different story...much more research, much more interaction with the purchaser...and usually a much longer book! That book goes to no one else...I sign over copyright formally with a Title 17 release.

As to where to go to find ghostwriters...unfortunately, the ones that are advertising for business, probably are doing so for a reason! People have always just found me...not sure where, to tell the truth! Also, truthfully, ghostwriting is not as profitable as it seems at first blush.

I have several dozen books that routinely sell a copy or two a day...each and every day. That is the focus of my business and brings in the lion's share of my income.

Hope that helps you some, I appreciate your questions!

Happy Holidays

Dennis Lively
DennisLively

Postby bookscanning.com » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:14 pm

bookscanning.com

Postby oddsod » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:44 am

oddsod

online ebooks

Postby eindu06 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:12 am

Hi

If you really want to contact some online booksellers,then just contact www.kevacorp.com.

Its an online bookseller in New York.Just contact them.

eindu
eindu06

Return to Ebooks & Info Products