[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - ebook type: pdf or no? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

ebook type: pdf or no?

Writing Ebooks, Formatting Ebooks, Selling Ebooks, Giving Ebooks Away, Rebrandible Ebooks... Join us here to discuss creating and selling Info Products, Reports, Guides & Ebooks...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

ebook type: pdf or no?

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:23 pm

Lee

Postby eBookWriter » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:21 pm

I know this is months later, but I haven't been to visit here as much as I probably ought to. :oops:

There's a lot of ways to present your ebooks. You actually don't even have to use PDF or HTML or HieBook or MSReader, etc. Some simply sell their Word or WordPerfect document as their eBook.

I, myself, wouldn't do that, much too easy to change your words.

It's my opinion that it's good to offer more than one format if you can. There are reasonably priced compilers that are easy to use to build HTML eBooks that don't need Internet Explorer to run. Those that do need it tend to be more feature rich, but you may not need or care about that. Too, you could just save your Word or WP doc in HTML right from there, and there's your HTML eBook.

There's several free PDF creators out there. Of which, I've used two. Can't recall which ones now, it was a while ago. All I remember is that the results were not salable. Another I tried was PDF602 or something like that. 602something for sure. Not good at the time. And I paid for that program. They may have improved it by now, but I haven't kept up with them much.

What are you using for a word processor? If you're using a recent version of either Word or WordPerfect, there's a PDF creator built right into the programs. Click print, click the drop down menu, and see if it's listed there along with your printer. Or go to Control Panel, click printers, and check for it there. If it's not and you have Word 2002 or 2003, or WordPerfect 10 or highter, (not sure about 9) slip your disk into the CD drive and do a custom install. To use it, all you have to do is choose it as your printer, name your file, and click save. Your file will compile right before your eyes. Then bring it up in your Adobe Reader to see how it came out.

I've found the quality of the PDF in these two programs to be very good. I can't see much of a difference in those than in the ones I've done with Adobe Acrobat 5.0. I usually just create the PDF in whichever word processing program I'm using at the time, and then use Acrobat to clean it up. I know Acrobat is pricey, I got my copy as a gift. But eBay and Yahoo Auctions have much cheaper prices for it. I'm glad to have a copy, it does make it easier to produce a decent looking file. You can't modify anything from the Reader.

Now, I'm a fiction author, and as such, prefer to do my stuff in HTML. From feedback from readers on eBook elists, HTML is, apparently, more PDA friendly than PDF. I've seen a lot of ranting against PDFs lately. But, nevertheless, these are the two main formats, and I try to offer both. When I can master the mysteries of compiling a decent eBook in for the Hiebook and the MSReader, I'll also offer those.

Hope some of this is helpful to you!
eBookWriter

PDF vs. Exe... my thoughts...

Postby Liz Tomey » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:37 pm

Here are my thoughts on the whole .pdf vs .exe ebooks. Currently I am creating two ebooks. One I am doing in .pdf and one I am doing .exe

The one I am doing in .pdf is all text. I don't need any images or anything like that. The only time I will do a .pdf ebook is when I need a nice clean "text on paper" look.

I use .exe to build HTML ebooks. If it's a website look you want, or want to make in more interactive, then .exe is the way to go.

There are several other ways to compose an ebook, these are the only two I use...

Let me give everyone a heads up on using .pdf ebooks...

I deal with .pdf documents CONSTANTLY I have for several years now.. They play a big part it one of my businesses... Viewing .pdf files with Adobe after a long time will cause links in your .pdf file to be "unclickable". You have to close Adobe and open it again. It's almost like Windows OS. It goes good for a few hours and then bam it just starts choking... My advice would be to put a little note in your .pdf ebooks saying something like "If links within this document appear to be "unclickable" please close Adobe Reader and reopen this document again."

There's my thoughts...

Liz
Liz Tomey

Return to Ebooks & Info Products