[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Can anyone tell me the Rights & Wrongs of Resale rights • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Can anyone tell me the Rights & Wrongs of Resale rights

Writing Ebooks, Formatting Ebooks, Selling Ebooks, Giving Ebooks Away, Rebrandible Ebooks... Join us here to discuss creating and selling Info Products, Reports, Guides & Ebooks...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Can anyone tell me the Rights & Wrongs of Resale rights

Postby Wordsworth » Thu May 13, 2004 7:42 am

Wordsworth

Postby Wordsworth » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:17 am

Wordsworth

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:11 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby eBookWriter » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:40 pm

There should also be a page in the beginning of the eBook that states what you can do with it. Generally it's someplace within the first two or three pages. Often the author restates those rights to resell (or not) at the end of the book as well as in the beginning.

If I don't see any clause telling me I have resale rights, or master resale rights, then I assume the eBook is for my personal reading and I have no rights to resell. Which is fine. I buy them mainly for my own use first. If they have resale rights, too, then it's a plus. But, again, most authors tell you right up front in the eBook itself, what rights are granted to you when you now that you've bought it.

I have a bunch of eBooks I've bought over the years, some of which required a password to get into. Sadly, I never wrote it down--or I lost the notebook that I did write it in, so now I have books I bought, but can't get into. If I resold them, I have no way of giving anyone else a password to get in.

As for the legality of the author to tell you what you can charge for it and where you can sell it, I would say it's fair enough. After all, no author has to allow his copyrighted material to be resold at all. I often look for eBooks on eBay, because they can be gotten cheap. And that's exactly why some authors don't want to see their stuff there. If they're trying to sell it as a high end product for say, $20----$50 or any price above that and you sell it on eBay for $2.98, that's going to devalue his hard work.

If they don't care whether you give it away or sell it, then fine . . . sell it cheap. But if they care, respect that and keep the price consistent.

Now the question I have over all this, is how you actually prove you bought the rights in the first place. I like it when it's stated something like, if you're in possession of this eBook you have the rights to resell . . . This is the biggest reason I haven't tried reselling on eBay yet. I've kept all my PayPal receipts just in case. Is that all that would be required to prove rights of resale? Thoughts on this, anyone?
eBookWriter

Return to Ebooks & Info Products