[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Disabling an ebook once someone asks for a refund? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Disabling an ebook once someone asks for a refund?

Writing Ebooks, Formatting Ebooks, Selling Ebooks, Giving Ebooks Away, Rebrandible Ebooks... Join us here to discuss creating and selling Info Products, Reports, Guides & Ebooks...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Disabling an ebook once someone asks for a refund?

Postby Alan Petersen » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:27 pm

I have a question on how to handle refunds on an ebook. I'm getting ready to have my first ebook, format is PDF. I'll offer a money back gurantee so if someone asks for a refund what happens to the ebook? They shouldn't be able to keep it should they? I know about services to lock down digital products and such, how does that work?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby americanwahm » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:30 am

I've only ever delivered a simple PDF and Mp3 file so once the customer has it - it's in their hands and out of mine. Fortunately I've only had a couple of refund requests all these years now.

Since I haven't ever looked deeply into a secured system I can't give you much advice - but I would encourage you to focus on keeping things simple and accessible for your happy customers and worry less about the potentially unhappy ones.

Perhaps someone else will have a solution for you though :)
americanwahm
Elite Member

Postby theuniek1 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:40 pm

There's no way to actually disable an ebook once a refund is given unless you use a third party service. (Or set up a verification system on your own server, which could be a serious pain in the butt.)

Like Kelly says, once someone has your product, they have your product.

Depending on the product, a third party service may be worthwhile, however, if it's not a high ticket item, then the service may not be feasible.

~ Teli
theuniek1

Postby Jim Guinn » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:56 pm

Jim Guinn

Postby Johnny » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:48 pm

To implement this type of solution, a central authorization is required. So to say, whenever the ebook is opened, it will need to connect to the internet to check for access.

The technology is there, the solution is there.

The problem is, as a user. I found it troublesome.

You will have to weight the pros and cons.

If the item is not too expensive, just let it be :(
Maybe, once a while (during the refund period), send them some goodie, and inform them more goodie is on the way. Might reduce the refund rate.
Johnny

Postby Alan Petersen » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:50 pm

Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby kiatlc » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:14 am

kiatlc

Postby eBookWriter » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:57 pm

eBookWriter

Return to Ebooks & Info Products