[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Sendin' out An SOS • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Sendin' out An SOS

Compel your visitors to Take Action! What to say, how to say it, formatting and more... Join us here to discuss writing sales letters, general copywriting, and which words work the best!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Bensettle

Sendin' out An SOS

Postby WAHumor » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:22 am

Darn it...wouldn't you know?

I've been informed that the launch of my little book will require a GOOD sales letter.

Yes, it was worded just as subtly as that...

The problem is mine is a very untypical product. It won't whiten your teeth while automating your entire operation or make you insanely rich by the fifth chapter.

It is, to put it best, a preparation guide for those considering or actually entering the wild and wacky world of home business.

Readers are taken through the entire process everyone SHOULD use when starting a home business, especially online. I say it's what everyone SHOULD do (you know it too) and virtually no one does.

Y'know...research, planning, support systems etc, and also the ones you do hear more often: advertising and promotion, motivation and so on.

It's all based on interviews with LOTS of home business folks sharing their experiences and resources. So far, the reviewers have thought it one very useful little book.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions? Donations?

Oh, OK...ignore that last one.
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:02 am

Can you give us some details on the product, and the site?

Do you already have a sales letter up that we can view and work from?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Karen » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:17 am

I like the idea for your book!

It is a topic that would benefit many people.

Karen
Karen

Postby WAHumor » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:07 am

WAHumor
Elite Member

The Ultimate Sales Letter

Postby webturtle » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:45 am

Hi Dan -

Well, first of all, I think the idea of your book is terrific - especially if it is funny. I can't remember if I contributed or not - but I hope I did :)

Anyway - I hate sales letters, especially the long variety - but I've had to learn to understand them and appreciate them when they are well done. The best advice anyone ever gave me in that regard was to buy a copy of The and use that as a template and guide to writing it. It made the process extremely understandable and the results were great.

Have fun (like I have to tell YOU that. LOL)
webturtle

Postby WAHumor » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:10 am

Well, Eileen...

Allegedly, it IS funny.

And yes, you did contribute!

I'm a little concerned about it being such an UNmemorable experience, though.

Right now, I'm looking through lots of copywriting stuff and have gleaned a couple of good points to include, BUT...

...although long-copy sales letters are supposedly the way to go, it just seems like so much blah, blah, blah. It must come from being a straight-to-the-point New England Yankee.

How do you deal with THAT??
WAHumor
Elite Member

No worries

Postby webturtle » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:21 am

Hi Dan -

Don't be concerned that I wasn't sure that I contributed. LOL. I have such information overload in my brain that things I did just last month seem a little dim and surreal. I had a recollection that you had asked me - was more concerned with whether I ever got around to it!

Anyway - I know what you mean about the sales letters - but once you get into it, it does really start to flow. The idea with the long ones, I guess, is that if people are into what you're selling, they'll read along... and honestly, I think if you write in your own funny style, you will be able to hook them. Also, throughout the letter you give them "off ramps" to go buy the thing, if you hooked them and they just want to get on with it.

I'm not an expert on this but the book made me feel like I could do it - which was a challenge for me because I, too, felt like the whole style of writing was really smarmy and i wanted nothing to do with it. But, then I started to see how I had real stories I could tell and weave into such a thing. I'm totally confident you have the goods to write a really good one because you have a personality that you can pour into it and get people's attention. That's half the battle :)
webturtle

Postby koanwrangler » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:43 am

Howdy,

I put together a book for my coaching clients called "The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Copywriting."

you can get it at www.patobryan.com/copywriting.htm - it's free, of course.

Some of the content will be a review for you, but there may be something there that will help.

Good luck,

Pat
(I almost hate to post this... my current posting number just looks so right)
koanwrangler

Postby WAHumor » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:11 pm

Here's how it looks as of 3:08pm EST:

http://www.wahumor.com/WAHumorWayLetter.html

I can't seem to make tables, though...
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby TarheelHosting » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:54 pm

Dan,

I also second Dan Kennedy's book and indeed his whole magnetoc marketing course is great.

Anyway in my (extremely humble) opinion I think you need a catchier headline. Yep it's good, but I think it should be GREAT.

What do I really get? Are you listing a feature or a benefit? Why not learn from....well, why should I learn?

Something like:
"Real World Secrets To Selecting A Succesful Home Based Business"

And if you want to stress the the humour you could have a sub-headline
(Or how not to screw up your home based business) as a bad humour example!!!!

Anyway looks like a really neat spin on this subject.

I wish you the bets of luck!
Simon
TarheelHosting

Postby WAHumor » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:01 pm

Copy update!

Here it is as of 11:42am EST today:

http://www.wahumor.com/WAHumorWayLetter.html
WAHumor
Elite Member

quick suggestion that should improve your response

Postby Bensettle » Mon May 16, 2005 12:22 am

Hey there Dan,

One thing you may want to consider is adding some proof of authority in your headline.

Maybe something like this:

"Former Corporate Trainer Reveals How To Get A Better, Easier, More Successful Start In Your Home Business Without The Hassles and Headaches Of Getting Started"

Adding just this little spot of authority (i.e. "Former Corporate Trainer") will make your claims more credible and believable.

Sincerely,
Ben
http://www.bensettle.com
Bensettle

Return to Copywriting & Sales Letters