[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Long sales copy versus short sales copy. • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Long sales copy versus short sales copy.

Compel your visitors to Take Action! What to say, how to say it, formatting and more... Join us here to discuss writing sales letters, general copywriting, and which words work the best!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Bensettle

Long sales copy versus short sales copy.

Postby newsguy » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:06 am

newsguy

Postby Dean Phillips » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:07 am

There's an old marketing adage, "the more you tell, the more you sell!" However, there's a caveat to that adage, "whatever you do, don't be boring!"

I personally use long copy with great success, and so do many other marketers. But it has to be skillfully done or else readers will get bored and click away.

I sell my E-mail Consultation Service for $99.95, using long copy. However, I've also made my copy interactive. While potential clients are reading my sales letter, they can also click on different links and check out my credentials, as well as read testimonials telling them what my current clients think about my service.

Here's a general rule of thumb about writing copy: Make your copy as long as necessary to effectively tell your story. Finding the correct balance between length and effectiveness requires testing, testing and more testing! :D
Last edited by Dean Phillips on Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dean Phillips

Postby newsguy » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:27 pm

newsguy

Postby Dean Phillips » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:30 pm

Dean Phillips

Postby shelwriter » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:30 pm

One thing that I've learned is that where the long copy is makes a difference.

If you're talking about a one-page sales letter, I really think Dean's idea about having an "interactive" page with popup info boxes and/or other pages for FAQ's and screenshots, etc, are the way to go.

But, if you're dealing with a multi-layered website there are times when you need very little copy on the home/landing page. The long copy needs to be navigated to, using the short copy.

You have to look at it from a "visitors" standpoint. What would YOU want to read, see, know on that page... etc.

And, as Dean said, test, test, test! LOL

Shel
shelwriter

Postby koanwrangler » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:50 am

koanwrangler

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 am

Excellent points, Pat :!:
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Cricket » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:39 pm

Cricket

Postby kidino » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:32 am

I believe in this ...

Your copy can never be too long ... only too boring
kidino
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:48 am

Agreed. I read a 28 page sales letter - twice :shock: - earlier this week... and decided to order the software ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby PattyGale » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:56 pm

PattyGale

Postby koanwrangler » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:51 am

Hey Cricket- thanks. I'm glad you liked it- swing by my site sometime-

PattyGale- I'm fascinated. You sound like an excellent "control" reader for sales copy.

Would you please direct me to the last three "internet marketing" products that you bought online and the sales pages that influenced you to buy?

Those letters are "Hypey" for a reason- blame it Milton Erickson- but, I think there is a material percentage of readers who are like you.

As a copywriter, I'm real interested in accomodating both types of readers- and wondering how to do that in one sales letter...

Any data would be cherished.

thanks,

Pat
koanwrangler

Postby Ladan Lashkari » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:32 am

Ladan Lashkari

Postby Jennifer Hadorn » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:47 pm

Jennifer Hadorn

Postby TarheelHosting » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:49 pm

I'm a big fan of Dan Kennedy and he recommends long copy - in fact he quotes his longest at something extreme like 64 pages. However this is typical direct mail (i.e. letters).

The genreally proposed theory is whatever works offline typically works online so given that if you have something to say that is relevent, as opposed to just filler, then say it no matter how long it takes.

If somebody is interested to the point of considering making a purchase they will generally read everything you write - hence giving you more opportunity to sell them!!

Simon
TarheelHosting

Next

Return to Copywriting & Sales Letters