[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Short Copy as a PreSell .... • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Short Copy as a PreSell ....

Compel your visitors to Take Action! What to say, how to say it, formatting and more... Join us here to discuss writing sales letters, general copywriting, and which words work the best!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Bensettle

Short Copy as a PreSell ....

Postby neeo25 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:03 pm

I have seen lotsa short copy and lotsa long copy both have pros and cons.
Overall the long copy works better than the short copy provided the author/vendor manages to NOT break one cardinal rule :

Do NOT be boring

But sadly a lot of great products remain unsold :roll: 'coz the long copy becomes tooooo boring and the prospects loose patience.

Personally the best I have seen is a very few people do a combo of short and long copy. The Short copy is a Pre-Sell sort of a One-Two Punch extended headline creating extreme curiosity/urgency and proceeds only to the long copy AFTER the prospects signup for the list so the short copy acts as a filter but so focused and 'no distractions' approach makes it very powerful build-up for the long copy that follows!!

And, then comes the Long copy -- so riveting, so captivating that only wild horses will drag the prospects away while reading that long copy !

Has anybody seen anything like it ?

Any other comments, ideas, suggestions ?
neeo25

Postby neeo25 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:20 pm

Com'on Guys !!! Is nobody reading This ?

Its all in the copy ... Yes ! ALL IN THE COPY !!!

.... so I need comments, suggestions .... Don't be Shy ... :wink:
neeo25

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:29 pm

This sounds like a very good method... but I would have to say that it depends on the product or service that you are selling. Obviously high-ticket items need more copy. And some things are better kept simple, yet still compelling.

Any good examples of this method in action?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby neeo25 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:47 pm

Yes Lynn,

It depends on the product or service, true but the method if cultivated can be the 'killer' provided it is really backed by EXTREME VALUE.

Actually, I know of only one person who can write that kinda copy ... Gary Halbert !!!

High Ticket or Low, It depends on what Benefits you talk about but most of the copy I read is about Features NOT Benefits.

Yes, I do know of 1 or 2 programs out there using this method, I will let y'all know as soon as I sort this mess on my desk. :?

It is on my desk, that much I know, now all I have to do is find it !! :roll:

In the mean time let the comments flow. 8)
neeo25

Postby shelwriter » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:00 am

Hey guys -

It's late and I don't have much time. I've been trying to get over here for days!

Anyhow, I saw this topic and couldn't resist stating my thoughts, although it's probably going to be a condensed version. Sorry! :cry:

Just in what I've observed over the years, long copy outsells short copy - BUT - there are certain things you have to consider.

First of all, why long copy sells... Long copy sells because the people who are pulling out their wallets want to know "everything" there is to know before they give you their credit card number.

Secondly, long copy sells because the higher cost of the product, typically the more information you need to present.

Short copy sells too - why? Because you either trust the seller or you're already "pre-sold" based on other advertisment, word-of-mouth, it's something you're looking for (solves a problem) or you're an easy target. :shock: Just kidding...

Also, most people who talk about long copy vs. short copy are only talking about what they see on the Internet. They don't take into account the direct mail pieces the get in the mail or the advertorials they read in magazines or newspapers. That's long copy too. And it works.

So, basically they both work, depending on a wide variety of factors. Your target audience, your product, your advertising medium, your reputation, etc... It all depends.

Okay, I didn't mean for this post to be this long. Sorry! I'm going to bed now... :roll:

Just my .02 cents worth,
Shel
shelwriter

my preferences

Postby TorontoCarol » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:14 am

Personally, if I get something that is long copy, I read the first paragraph and then quickly skim to the last paragraph, read it and find out the price.

The only time I read every word of a long copy was one I got from a doctor about misinformation in the media. It was so interesting, I didn't want to miss a thing.

So I guess if that first paragraph really grabs me, I might be inclined to do more than skim.
TorontoCarol
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:00 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby shelwriter » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:38 pm

shelwriter

Postby Dean Phillips » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:07 pm

Shel, I couldn't have said it better myself! :D
Dean Phillips

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:12 pm

Hi Dean - Welcome to the group! ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Dean Phillips » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:20 pm

Hello Lynn:

Thank you very much! I'm looking forward to being part of your outstanding and well-run forum! :D
Dean Phillips

Return to Copywriting & Sales Letters