[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Datafeed and Individual product links for Affiliates • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Datafeed and Individual product links for Affiliates

From setting up an Affiliate Program to Recruiting & Managing Affiliates - join us here to ask questions or share your tips & experiences.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Datafeed and Individual product links for Affiliates

Postby CalissaLeigh » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:28 am

Affiliates want a datafeed. What's this? I know a little about datafeed but how can I get this to help my affiliates?

Also, I use Mals-E for my affiliate program. What can I do to provide individual product links for my customers. I'm not sure how to do it. :) If I could find a way to teach them how to make their own links with their ID I could put up a little tutorial.

Just curious if anyone knows...
CalissaLeigh

Postby john925 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:14 am

john925

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:56 pm

I dont know much about data feeds - from either angle. But would like to learn. Can anyone share some good resources?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby john925 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:57 pm

I didn't find many good resources on the Web. So all I had done was downloaded a free to download datafeed and took a look at it. I then thought of things that could be done with the information.

After playing around with a datafeed, I now have a few scripts that will re-arrange the order of the columns within the datafeed, delete uneccessary columns, upload the finished datafeed straight up to my MySQL Database.

Once all that is done, I then have a lot of products showing up on my site.
john925

Postby netadventures » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:24 pm

A datafeed is a database of information about a merchant's product line - each record includes information about a specific product. You can use the datafeed with MySQL but you can also use , a cool program that merges the items you want in the feed with an html template. You end up with thousands of static pages which you then upload to your site.

BJ
netadventures

Postby john925 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:48 pm

I had a look at Webmerge when learning about datafeeds and I thought that it was rubbish as it would have not benefited me. This is because it seemed to quickly make thousands of html pages. You have to then grab all of them seperate pages and upload them to your web host, which will take some time and will also take up alot of space.

So I then created my own one page php script using mysql so that it would automatically produce thousands of pages. I also then used .htaccess so that I could make the pages as if they just looked like normal html pages.
john925

Postby netadventures » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:25 am

Well, I wouldn't say Webmerge is a lot of rubbish, but it would definitely be much better to be able to use MySQL with the datafeeds. But for me that's a whole other learning curve :) I'm not techie at all, so would never be able to create my own PHP script. So for now Webmerge will have to do for me!

BJ
netadventures

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:48 pm

Hi BJ & thanks for the link!

I checked it out and it did the trick - after a few minutes of fiddling with the options. I also found a good tutorial for a better output, which was cool. I may spend some more time with this next weekend when it's quiet around here. Thanks again!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby john925 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:32 pm

john925

Postby netadventures » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:06 pm

netadventures

Postby john925 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:45 pm

john925

Postby flensborg » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:15 am

flensborg

Postby john925 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:39 am

john925

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:08 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Baggs » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:10 pm

The trouble with datafeeds is that every one is different; even merchants offering similar products have a different feed format, which means that you need to look at each one when you set them up.

But once you have a way of reading that merchants feed, you can effectively updat your site daily (or whenever you like)

I don't believe Amazon has a CSV format - it is all XML. - and that is another challenge altogether!
Baggs

Next

Return to Affiliate Program Managers