[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Split-testing Ads on Google • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Split-testing Ads on Google

Methods & Tips for promoting your website, or affiliate programs, on the major search engines with pay-per-click advertising. Google Adwords, Overture, FindWhat, Kanoodle & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Split-testing Ads on Google

Postby Kirk » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:31 pm

I wrote this little app about a year ago when I first started split-testing my Google ads:

I had found a few existing tools that did the same thing, but they used differences in standard deviations to calculate the result. I asked my wife about it (statistician who runs clinical trials) and she recommended the chi-squared test as a superior method to determine statistical significance.

I dug the formula out of an old stats book (that class still brings back bad memories...) and coded this up.

Please add any recommendations on how I might improve this. I find it works well and automatically adjusts the significance on sample sizes less than 30...
Kirk

Postby Gerardas Norkus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:22 am

Hi Kirk,

I know very similar site to yours for checking out split testing results at:

http://www.splittester.com

I hope this will help you to improve yours.
Gerardas Norkus

Postby Kirk » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:30 am

Thanks Gerardas,

This site was actually the inspiration for my swing at this type of application. I heard about it on a Perry Marshall call and tried it out on a few campaigns I was running. Although it seemed to work, it didn't mention anywhere about how the significance was derived. I asked my wife about it and she pointed me to the chi squared statistics test commonly used in clinical trials.

I setup the chi squared formula in Excel, but couldn't replicate the results achieved at splittester.com. To ensure I had built the formula correctly, I located a few chi squared calculators at some university websites - everything checked out. I then just transferred my excel worksheet to PHP code and ran the same tests.

While I'm not saying the results at splittester.com are incorrect, I was just uncomfortable with the lack of detail on how the results were derived.

Truth be told, I was learning PHP at the time and was really just looking for an excuse to do a little coding in it. :P
Kirk

Postby Gerardas Norkus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:57 pm

Thanks Kirk,

Well, I'll try your script as soon as I need it and compare it to splittester.com ;-)
Gerardas Norkus

Postby nuttymarketer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:54 pm

Dear Kirk,

I do not see any point in using splittester.com This is a children toy.....

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Arvind Kumar
nuttymarketer

Postby Kirk » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:21 pm

Kirk

Postby nuttymarketer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:25 am

Dear Kirk,

Thanks for that. I would like to see the point. Please explain it in detail.

Thanks in advance.

Arvind
nuttymarketer

Postby Kirk » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:42 am

I got it. Let's say you write an ad and it performs with a CTR of 1%. You get an idea for a new ad that you think will beat your existing ad (since you've only tried one ad so far, that's called your "control" ad).

You decide to delete your existing ad (the "control") and replace it with the new ad you've written. After a couple of hours, your new ad is performing at a CTR of 1.3% - you think you've beaten the control ad, but there's one small problem...

The problem is, you don't know if the new ad is actually better because the results might be due to random chance. A good example is flipping a coin 5 times - you might get "heads" five times in a row because of random chance. If you flip the coin 100 times, you'll get heads 50% of the time - not 100%.

So my tool, and the tool at splittester.com, determines through statistical methods what is random chance and what is not. My tool offers a statistical significance which lets you gauge how much uncertainly has been factored out - 80% confidence is good, but 99% confidence is better...

Google adwords offers a great feature which allows you "test" multiple ads simultaneously - it will serve up each ad randomly and track the impressions and clickthroughs. You just plug those stats into my tool to get your answer...

I hope that helps.
Kirk

Postby nhynes57 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:28 pm

Kirk,

That is a useful tool. I never realised that there might be a such a difference,
but then I could never get my head around that statistical stuff anyway.

Noel
nhynes57

Return to PPC: Pay-per-Click Advertising