[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Adwords Fear • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Adwords Fear

Methods & Tips for promoting your website, or affiliate programs, on the major search engines with pay-per-click advertising. Google Adwords, Overture, FindWhat, Kanoodle & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Adwords Fear

Postby PattyGale » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:49 am

PattyGale

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:36 am

Perry's book is really great. I dont think there have been any major updates, but you may want to send him an email just to make sure. Read over it again... and then just start small! Take a page of yours (on any one of your sites) that you already know converts fairly well and then duplicate it (or set up some way to track it) and promote it on Adwords.

You can bid low, start with only a handful of keywords (specific keywords are better than general keywords - especially if you want to monitor results closely - it will "go slower" that way)... and you can get a feel for how it all works ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby PattyGale » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:24 am

Thanks for the advice, Lynn. I will do that. I guess what scares me is that I have not paid for any advertising to date, and Adwords is something that seems pretty foreign at the moment.

I guess like everything else I've ventured into so far, I know once I get passed the initial phase of unfamiliarity, I'll feel better about the process.

Thanks again.

Patty
PattyGale

Postby WAHumor » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:31 pm

I believe there may be an updated version now available, but I can't say for sure because I haven't gotten it yet!

I understand your misgivings, Patty. I had them at first and then...and THEN...

I got Perry's book and not only read it, but referred to it while doing anything on my Google account each and every time. My income increased as a result

Try it, you'll like it (or at least it'll help). :roll:
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby PattyGale » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:23 pm

Thanks for the support and advice, Dan! I really appreciate it.

BTW, I just took a look at your forum. Looks like a lot of fun! I'll have to head over there.

Patty
PattyGale

Postby PattyGale » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:25 pm

O.K.. Now is it just me or does Dan's picture remind you of a Al from Home Improvement?
PattyGale

Postby WAHumor » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:26 pm

I WAS Al from Home Improvement for Halloween once.

Perry has written an update, with a cool offer:

http://perrymarshall.com/renaissance/di ... ersary.htm

Sorry..not my affiliate link!!
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby PattyGale » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:05 pm

Ha ha!!! That's great Dan, I knew I saw a resemblence.

Thanks for the info about Perry's book. I will definitely check it out.

Patty
PattyGale

A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins With the First Step

Postby Hock Ng » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:33 pm

Hi Patty,

I totally understand how you feel. That was how I felt when I first started using AdWords. I kept checking the stats to see how much money I've spent and then my affiliate account to see if I've made any sales. I started out promoting affiliate programs using the Google Cash method. Since then I've used AdWords for more creative uses. :)

My advice is to set aside at least $300 to $500 per month when you're starting out as your budget. It may seem like a lot but $300 basically breaks down to $10 per day. If you're getting 5 cent clicks, that's 200 clicks per day. That should give you enough data to analyse and decide whether to tweak your campaigns or to move on to a different campaign.

Learn to write good ads. Do some searches on Google and see which ads draw your attention. Those are the ones you want to emulate. Writing good ads is half the battle won. Good ads can give you higher CTR and along with that higher ad position even if you're paying less than your competitors.

Hock
Hock Ng

Postby PattyGale » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:54 pm

Thanks for the advice, Hock. I appreciate your input and thank you for sharing your experience. It's good to know that I'm not only the only one with "Adwords fear" in the beginning.

Patty
PattyGale

Postby ChristyK » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:07 pm

ChristyK
Elite Member

Postby MilesBaker » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:30 pm

I just put a post on my blog about those starting out with adwords, you can read it here.

The Top Ten Adwords Mistakes Most Marketers Make

Best of luck!
MilesBaker

Postby emeradyl » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:32 am

emeradyl

Postby reztar » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:19 pm

Hi Miles,

When i opened your blog link, i got this message "Sorry, no posts matched your criteria:. I think is should be this one. Or it just me??

http://www.marketingwithmiles.com/12/to ... -mistakes/
reztar

Postby Gerardas Norkus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:49 am

Hi Patty,

if you didn't spend any money on advertising before, I suggest you not to spend it now unless you know that your site converts well. Or do you want to promote affiliate links directly?

If your site converts, you should not have problem with Adwords. What you should find out is how much one visitor to your site is worth -- a visitor value. You should not bid higher than your visitor value!

If you think of promoting affiliate links, I suggest you to set up a landing page and collect emails of adwords visitors first. After they sign up you should redirect them to your affiliate website, and later follow up with your leads, build trust and offer them similar products.

I hope that helps.
Gerardas Norkus

Return to PPC: Pay-per-Click Advertising