[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Keyword Research Question • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Keyword Research Question

Methods & Tips for promoting your website, or affiliate programs, on the major search engines with pay-per-click advertising. Google Adwords, Overture, FindWhat, Kanoodle & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Keyword Research Question

Postby v2005 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:26 pm

Hi,

I just set up an AdWords campaign split testing 2 ads using exact matches for 100 keyword phrases researched in wordtracker but have not got one click.

I also targeted a number of negative kws and am tracking clicks to my landing page..when I get some.

Questions:
1. Should I be patient and leave the campaign running for another day or or delete the campaign?

2. Split test another 2 ads based on another keyword phrase and another 100 phrases containing that kw?

3. Don't exact matches for all my kws? ...I did not want to have people clicking on general phrases.

Please advise

Thank you,
Herman
v2005

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:04 pm

Hi Herman,

First - how many Impressions have your ads had so far?

Also... Stats are not in real time, so it may be that you have had clicks that havent showed up in your stats yet.

I do like to use exact match, myself - but also use broad match (which means "keywords" in quotes, instead of [keywords] in brackets like you do for exact match).

To make it easy, you can copy your keyword list and paste it into the top left box on the Adwords Wrapper here: http://www.mikes-marketing-tools.com/cg ... rapper.cgi
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby v2005 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:24 pm

v2005

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:04 pm

Dont change them, just add them. You can have them both in there, so your list increases to 200 keywords instead of 100 (since you duplicate each exact match into a broad match also).

Check your stats first thing tomorrow and let us know if it reports any clicks.

Quick question though - are your keywords "general"? Or are they very specific to your ad?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby v2005 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:44 am

v2005

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:33 am

I think it's 1,000 impressions before they start to 'mark' keywords as disabled. But I'm not entirely sure.

With only 431 impressions, at the standard CTR (click through rate) of half-1%, you would only have gotten 2-4 click-through's anyway. So zero isnt that far off. Basically you just havent tested this one long enough to know whether it will pan out or not.

Here's what I would do: Duplicate that campaign by coming up with new keyword lists around other related phrases (related to your ad). Create ads that contain this word/phrase that is consistent throughout your list. Set up a new campaign for each of these, and continue to do so and monitor each one. You are bound to find keywords that bring you traffic and that convert for you.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby v2005 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:50 am

Thanks Lyn,

I created another campaign split testing 2 new ads using a different KW phrase with 100 alternative KW phrases containing that phrase.

I made them all exact phrases ie "exact phrase"

I bid 10c...according to Google estimator many KW positions will be within the first 8.

Am I on the right track?

Questions:
If you reach 1000 impessions does Google disable all campaigns or just just the campaign showing my2 ads I set up originally?

What should I do with the first campaign - delete or redo the copy or???
v2005

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:59 am

Do both [exact match] and "broad match" - which means you will have two copies of each keyword, one in brackets and one in quotes.

It sounds like you are on the right track - just keep an eye on it. And let the original 2 ads run for a few hundred more impressions (till 7-800). If you still dont get any clicks, rewrite one of the ads to see if it makes a difference. If it does, rewrite the 2nd one too.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby v2005 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:52 pm

Thanks for the tips Lyn,

Can you clear up my confusion...

Doesn't broad match mean words without the delimiters?
or
Did you mean phrase match...words containing delimiters ie "delimiters"

When setting up a campaign is it best to usually do both broad and exact matches?
v2005

Postby Hock Ng » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:37 pm

Hock Ng

Postby v2005 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:40 am

Thanks for the tips Hock,

I did as you suggested but still have no clicks after split testing 6 ads using 3 different kw phrases and their accompanying keyword phrases (1-300) reseached from WT.

Do I continue to rewrite new ads until I get one that attracts clicks?
v2005

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:19 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby v2005 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:33 pm

This is for today..was higher yesterday

The first number=impressions, the second=position

10/26/05 Active 8 0 0.0% $0.00 $0.00 13.0
10/26/05 Active 4 0 0.0% $0.00 $0.00 25.2
10/26/05 Active 12 0 0.0% $0.00 $0.00 35.4
Totals 24 0 0.0% $0.00 $0.00 26.2

My CPC limit = 3.00 with $75 total clicks/day across all campaigns.

Does Google penalize your position after a period of no clicks because it seems difficult to get high positions even when creating a new campaign with new KW and AD?

Thanks
v2005

Postby Hock Ng » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:07 pm

You must be bidding on highly competitive keywords/phrases if I read your stats right. Your average positions would put you on the 2nd, 4th and 5th pages, respectively. Try to brainstorm for related words that have less competition.

Hock
Hock Ng

Return to PPC: Pay-per-Click Advertising