[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Do blogs mean the end of newsletters? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Do blogs mean the end of newsletters?

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Do blogs mean the end of newsletters?

Postby WAHumor » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:18 pm

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby webturtle » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:20 pm

Eh? I had to check the date on this post to make sure it was recent ... I thought blogs were "oh so last century" ... are they now experiencing a new resurgence?

I'm thinking back to all the hulabaloo about blogs in late 1999-2000, and the near demise of Pyra during the dot com bust, etc -- I knew blogging hadn't gone away and was saved but now I'm curious about your post and what precipitated it... new press? Some new developments?
webturtle

Postby WAHumor » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:28 am

Oh yeah!

There's more talk about them lately. Henrik has one, I know. And as I mentioned, Rebekah Nahai, who's generally considered a pretty sharp lady, has developed her own "blog-maker" product in response to several others on the market.

No, I am NOT pitching that...just showing that someone I KNOW to be good at what she does is advocating this approach.

There are many now saying they'll displace newsletters. Is this sales hype or probable future?
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby R Hagel » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:05 am

R Hagel

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:18 am

If I were interested in learning more about Blogs and Blogging... what is a good "getting started" resource that you could recommend?

Is there a "Blogging for Beginners" guide that would tell me:

- What is a Blog?
- Why should I Blog?
- What are the benefits to Blogging?
- Examples of proven profit models

... etc

Thanks ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby R Hagel » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:24 am

I've read a couple books on blogging and talked to a few different people.

In my opinion, the best resource is That will explain why you (especially as an IM'er) should blog, how to make money with your blog, etc.

(I've also read , but it's not as comprehensive as Jason's book. Dr. Mani's book is interesting because it is what he calls a "blog book"--it's a combination of an ebook and a blog--so it's interactive. HOWEVER, it is more of a "tips book," and while the tips are suitable for beginners, the book probably doesn't go into enough depth.

So bottom line: I'm more interested in Dr. Mani's book just because of the concept (a blog book). But content wise...Jason's book is the book I recommend...highly. )

Cheers,

Becky
R Hagel

Postby R Hagel » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:28 am

p.s. Typically I would send you to Jason's blog, but it's down at the moment. In fact, there is a possibility that he's lost a LOT of data! But that's another story. My fingers are crossed for him. I'm sure he's NOT a happy camper right now.

Anyway, Jason's blog has attracted the attention of Gary Halbert, Allen Says, and other "legendary" marketers. :wink:

Cheers,

Becky
R Hagel

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:33 am

Thanks Becky ;) I'll check that out!

Also - what format or software would you recommend for Blogging??
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby R Hagel » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:39 am

Well I started off using Greymatter (I believe that's what it's called). HOWEVER, since then I've seen people recommending "Moveable Type" among others (run a search--it might be a .org address). Also, seems like Jason mentioned something about Google's blogging software in one of his last entries...but then his site crashed so I can't go back and check that for you.

When it comes to that time, ask Jason. :wink:

Cheers,

Becky
R Hagel

Postby webturtle » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:39 am

Thanks for the explanation Becky! Now it makes sense.

I'm not surprised that the early bloggers are up in arms about it - many of them are of the same camp that were dismayed by the introduction of commerce into web years ago (and so far, our predictions have come true). But - no worries - people like that undoubtedly will find another cutting edge playground to go play in, knowing they are safe from the masses and the $$$$-making crowd for at least 2 years before anyone catches on ;) Thats just how it seems to go.

Interesting discussion !
webturtle

Postby Anita DeFrank » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:52 am

Very interesting indeed! I've heard a lot of talk about blogs, but I've yet to even look at one. Can someone point me in direction of one?

Anita :D
Anita DeFrank

Postby WAHumor » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:59 am

I mentioned that Henrik (and DON'T say "Henrik Who?") has one. Check his posts - you'll see!

You just KNOW Henrik does it right!
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby James Mann » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:35 pm

James Mann

Postby WAHumor » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:40 pm

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:42 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Next