This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Will Your Blog/Site Be Shut Down?

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Will Your Blog/Site Be Shut Down?

Postby Monna Ellithorpe » Fri May 29, 2009 10:15 am

Per Rosalind Gardner's article
http://www.netprofitstoday.com/articles ... Page1.html

In Rosalind's newsletter the other day she mentioned about sites being shut down.

If anyone has the time to look at my blog and see if I am one who is doing wrong.

I don't think I have done wrong but maybe I have. I have tried to make sure I have made every link back to the proper site, any quotes were noted and credit given to the person. Before I go any further I would appreciate some feedback.

http://beginnerinternetmarketinglibrary.blogspot.com/

Thank you.
Monna Ellithorpe
Monna Ellithorpe

Postby tknoppe » Fri May 29, 2009 11:17 am

Ok - Rosalind's link just sent me to a long page of links. So what was the gist of what she was saying - folks not giving proper credit to original content or quotes or what?

I have not read Blogspots TOS, but I know that on WordPress.com they do not allow affiliate links. At least they didn't used to. This is one reason why Lynn, me and so many others, teach to buy your own domain name and hosting so you have control over your web site.

I see you have affiliate links on your site, so not sure if that might be an issue with Blogspot or not; but without knowing what Rosalind's article was meaning, not sure how it would apply to your site.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby Monna Ellithorpe » Fri May 29, 2009 12:00 pm

http://tinyurl.com/nf6k3h

Sorry, forgot to check to see if the link worked.

Blogger does allow affiliate links - I have double checked on that.

I am just wondering if the pictures and other things I am putting on my blog is what she was talking about. I am promoting her site and others with links back to their sites.

I welcome any and all suggestions or opinions.

Thanks.
Monna Ellithorpe

Postby tknoppe » Fri May 29, 2009 12:16 pm

Ok - gotcha. Thanks for the fixed link.

What's she's referring to is basic copyright infringement and theft. If the content you are writing was written 100% by you, in your own words: you're safe.

If you purchased the PLR, with rights to use that PLR: you're safe.

However, I would always, ALWAYS, alter any PLR, even purchased PLR to make it 'my own'. I would add to it, alter the wording to give it 'my voice' and to ensure that the PLR when you publish it will not be an exact duplicate anywhere else on the web. Because if someone else has purchased this same PLR, and did nothing put slap it up on their web site without altering it one bit; and you did the same - while legally you both have rights to use it that way, to the site visitor to happened upon your sites, it may appear as though one of you swiped the others content. ;)

Images: if you took the image with your own camera: you're safe.

If you purchase the image, with rights to use the image on your web site, within your publication, etc...: you're safe.

Just swiping an image off Flickr thinking it's public domain and ok to use, is not wise, nor safe.

If you are part of a affiliate program or any company/group/organization that provides images for you to use for publicity/marketing: you're safe.

It's all about integrity and operating within the law. If it's not yours, you were not given expressed written permission to use it or you didn't buy it: then don't use it. ;)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby Monna Ellithorpe » Fri May 29, 2009 12:23 pm

I guess I had better take the pictures off. I just assumed if I was promoting their products, it would be okay to put their picture on too.

The content is mine with the exception of the few quotes here and there.

I sure don't need any more legal problems than I have already.

Thanks.
Monna Ellithorpe

Postby terrapin719 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:23 pm

I do want to help you get setup and blogging on your own domain. Even with all the information and Blogger's TOS I've heard so many times of blogs on their service being shut down and deleted for no good reason.

I know you got yours back this time, but next time it might just be deleted and they don't have to restore it. Many people who blogged well within their TOS were deleted in the past.

That is something you don't have to worry about with your own domain and hosting. I hate to see you stress over this anymore.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby Monna Ellithorpe » Fri May 29, 2009 12:33 pm

I do intend on doing that ASAP.

Having some money problems right now, so it is not possible right now.

They are coming to repossess my car in a few days.

At least with it gone I will save on insurance and gas, so maybe I can get back on my feet again.
Monna Ellithorpe

Postby Monna Ellithorpe » Fri May 29, 2009 12:46 pm

Forgot to add I removed all of the pictures, just left the ones showing the affiliate products.
Monna Ellithorpe

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging