This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

"recent Posts" WP plugin

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

"recent Posts" WP plugin

Postby SylviaC » Tue May 12, 2009 10:40 am

In the installation steps it requires you to do the following:
Place <?php mdv_recent_posts(); ?> in your templates.

Does this mean to place the code within the template stylesheet? If so does anyone know where within the stylesheet I would put it.

Thanks guys
SylviaC

Postby terrapin719 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Not within the stylesheet, but where you want the recent post list to appear, usually in the singlepost.php file
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Tue May 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Yep, in the files themselves as Loretta stated, but I would also put it on the index.php. What do the directions say? Does it tell you what template pages to place the code on?
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby SylviaC » Wed May 13, 2009 7:35 am

These are the INSTALLATION STEPS for the "recent post" plugin:

1. Upload recent-posts.php to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory
2. Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress
3. Place <?php mdv_recent_posts(); ?> in your templates

Where in the singlepost.php and index.php coding do I place the code, or does it matter?

Thanks
SylviaC

Postby tknoppe » Wed May 13, 2009 7:46 am

Ok, this is to who your recent posts, like in the sidebar, correct? Not related posts to the post you've just written? Just wanting to clarify.

If it's recent posts, that would go in the sidebar, and would go either in a text widget - just add a new text widget and paste that code in, save the widget, then save the sidebar and that's it.

If you're not using widgets, then paste that code into your sidebar directly wherever you want the recent posts to display in your sidebar.

However, if this is related posts, like I have on my http://genesisblogging.com site (click any post title & look at the end of the post to see what I'm talking about - you'll see a listing of related posts) - depends on the plugin you use, but if you need to add code, would be at the end, above comments coding.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:14 pm

If it's the recent posts that lists your 5 most recent posts you don't actually need a plugin for that anymore... it's built into Wordpress as a widget, as is Recent Comments. You just drag and drop into the sidebar.

I thought you were referring to Related Posts, which generally lists posts related to the one you're viewing, usually at the end of the post, before the comments section.

Maybe if you posted a link to the plugin you're having trouble with.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby SylviaC » Thu May 14, 2009 8:32 am

By George...I think I've got it!!!LOL

Thanks guys for pointing out the widgets. I just recently started using WP and am not even close to knowing all of its features.

I wonder though, why the WP instructions for that plugin don't point out that there is a widget. This is the link I have for adding that plugin. It was a recommendation from a friend. I guess he didn't know about the widget either.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/recent-posts/
SylviaC

Postby tknoppe » Thu May 14, 2009 8:48 am

Well sometimes the widgets work fine & do all that you need them too, but sometimes using a plugin adds extra features that widgets just don't have. Plugins can also be widgets (some are not).

So now that I've thoroughly confused you - go use your Recent Posts widget and see if that doesn't work for you without needing to use the plugin for it. ;)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging