[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Do I need to have an existing website to set up a WP blog? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Do I need to have an existing website to set up a WP blog?

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Postby lindastacy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:14 am

Of course, you're absolutely right Traci. Thanks for pointing that out.

Since the original poster said she's already developing a site, I assumed it was an HTML site (which I shouldn't have done). In that case, I'm suggesting that she probably doesn't want to install WordPress in the root of that site (as you explained above).
lindastacy

Postby SylviaC » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:19 am

Got it Traci, thanks.

Thanks for your reply also Linda. I wasn't confused with domains and hosting in general I just didn't realize that I need a domain to use WP as a blog only which Tracy R cleared up for me.

A lot of people say if you have a website you should also have a blog. But with WP you have both in one. I've only just considered WP now because I've been learning the basics about website building and internet marketing and like everybody starting out have been feeling overwhelmed with all the information out there. I didn't want to take on anything new until now. WP seems to be the way to go.

However, although my original post was about building a WP blog seperate from my existing website (2 different niches), I am also considering transfering my existing site to WP and I was wondering can any website be transferred to the WP platform? Will all my contents transfer over?

Thanks everyone for your help.
SylviaC

Postby tknoppe » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:36 am

Hi Sylvia - yes you can transfer your content over to a WP site, but you need to, of course, do that manually - as in copy/paste the contents from the current static html site, into new posts or pages you create in the WP site; THEN (*and this is critically important!) you need to create a permanent 301 redirect in your .htaccess file so you point the old .html pages to their new location within your WP blog.

If you don't, folks will get either the old pages showing (because html sites can run simultaneously along side php sites); or if you delete the html pages, they will get 404 page not found errors.

Here's a pretty good for you, with screenshots to help you.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Previous

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging