This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Wordpress What is it good for, huh?

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Wordpress What is it good for, huh?

Postby sct100 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:22 pm

Remember the old rock sing that went "war, what is it good for, huh, absolutely nothin' I know, I'm showing my age.

What is wp good for? I mean, I have blogged on it, but I blog on my website. Is wp supposed to do something magical that I am just not smart enough to understand?
sct100

Postby ChristineG » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:11 pm

Just a few reasons:

-Huge community of developers behind it (means tons of plugins and themes available and lots of documentation available)
--Rapid development cycle (means cutting edge features and holes and bugs are taken care of quickly)
--Super simple to use
--SEO (designed to be SEO friendly + All in one SEO Pack plugin available)
--Free to use
ChristineG

Postby sct100 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:26 pm

Ok, but why do I want to continue to blog there when I have my own site. I was told to go to my site and do something with fantastico, which I did, and it had no purpose that i can see. Now again, I am totally unschooled in this stuff. Tell me more!!
sct100

Postby angienewton » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:15 pm

Stephen,
Yes, I think you definitely want to have a blog in addition to your website. The reason being is that a blog is fresh content on a more regular basis and to be honest is found much quick I think in the search engines than a website.

I also have a website and blog:

http://www.losingitandlovingit.com

http://www.losingitandlovingit.com/blog

Basically your website is for static content that you will update over time and a blog is more to get to know you as the person with fresh content on pretty much a daily basis (or a few times a week at least) where you try to get your readers to interact with you which they can't do on a website.

What hosting do you use? Basically Fantastico is the easiest way to add a blog to your current domain and it would look like my links above if that is how you wanted it to look. I think you can do it another way too where it's something like blog.yourwebsitename.com

OK, I went to your website and I see there is a blog link and it goes to a page where people can comment on posts you make there. BUT I'm not a techie and have never seen it done that way before, it looks to be page 8. I'm sure there is someone who can help with this so I'll leave it at that for now.

Sure hope I didn't confuse you! We'll get it all figured out.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby sct100 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:29 pm

I use Inmotion. What I am confused about is, was using fantastico on my website supposed to do something? It didn't seem to.
sct100

Postby terrapin719 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Wordpress takes all the frustration out of building a website. It's easy to use, there's loads of plugins available to make it do just about anything, and it can easily replace clunky old "site builders" for those that want to build their own site but don't know html or css. It's definitely good for more than just blogging.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby sct100 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:08 am

I'll take your word for it, Loretta. It might be useful for someone who knows what they are doing, but not to me.
sct100

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging