[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Setting up new Wordpress blog---so confused! • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Setting up new Wordpress blog---so confused!

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Setting up new Wordpress blog---so confused!

Postby CalamityJane » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi all,

I feel like the stupidest person on earth right now. I have been working all day on setting up my new blog. Hosted on Bluehost, using Wordpress 2.7. The install of Wordpress went fine; I have done a little bit--uploaded an image, wrote a title, added some widgets--and have spent a large part of the day reading the help/documentation trying to figure out how to do certain things.

I have a little personal blog at wordpress.com, the free one, and it is so easy to change fonts, colors, etc. It seems like this new project requires knowledge of HTML. Which I don't have. Which I can learn if I have to, but I just wanted to ask here, in case I am missing something.

The help files for Wordpress talk about the files, and changing them to suit your own needs.

So, if I want to customize the header with a photo, or change the font somewhere, stuff like that, do I do it with changing the code?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing the "easy" button.

Thanks.
cj
CalamityJane
Elite Member

Postby nar321 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:38 pm

Yes, it helps but isn't absolutely necessary to know about html, css, and all that. Much of what you want to do can be done with the right theme and some wordpress plugins.

What are you trying to do?

Don't try to put a commercial site on your Wordpress.com blog as it is highly likely that it will be shut down(read your End User Legal Agreement= EULA)

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is to outsource the problem. Post requirements and amount you want to pay on Elance. com or Rentacoder.com
nar321
Elite Member

Postby CalamityJane » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:52 am

CalamityJane
Elite Member

Postby nar321 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:35 pm

There are both free themes and free plugins at www.wordpress.org. Compared to a old school HTML web site, wordpress itself can be published in as little as 5 minutes and if your web host has Fantastico in a few clicks of a mouse. Yes, I realize that you mentioned in your post that you used Fantastico(I included it for informational purposes)

Themes and plugins usually have to be unzipped and then uploaded to depending on which it is, the Themes Folder or the Plugins Folder. They then need to be activated by going to your Wordpress Admin area finding either the Themes or the plugins and activating the appropriate item.

Best wishes and do post the URL (Uniform Recourse Locater)when you feel it is doing what you want :)
nar321
Elite Member

Postby CalamityJane » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:25 pm

Thank you, and I will post the url once it is ready to be viewed, and I will definitely be wanting feedback. I look forward to putting something together and getting started.

Thanks again for your help.

cj
CalamityJane
Elite Member

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging