This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

WordPress Software Users Poll

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

How Often Do You Update Your WordPress Software?

EVERY New Version
25%
ONLY Versions With Security Fixes
75%
When I Remember To
No votes
What's A WordPress Software Update?
No votes

Total votes : 4

WordPress Software Users Poll

Postby CorpRebel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:24 pm

Just curious ...

With all the frequent WordPress software updates lately, I was wondering how often WP users here update their WP software with each new version that comes out.

These ever so frequent updates have been driving me crazy since I use the WP platform for multiple sites. I'm staying at v2.5.1 for the time being. v2.6 didn't look to have any real securty issue fixes.

And I've heard that a revamped version (v2.7) is due out in November.

Oh Joy! :lol:

Thanx!

Image 8)
CorpRebel

Postby angienewton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:12 pm

I chose only ones with security fixes. I get so nervous doing the updates anyway LOL

I haven't gone to the new one yet.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:54 pm

angienewton wrote:I chose only ones with security fixes. I get so nervous doing the updates anyway LOL

I haven't gone to the new one yet.

Hi Angie!

I ONLY upgraded from v2.3.1 to v2.5.1 because of some major bug & security fixes, so that upgrade was pretty much a vital one.

I didn't see anything compelling in the 2.6.x versions so far. Seemed mostly cosmetic and some minor bug fixes that ddn't affect me anyway.

Maybe the blog pros here can enlighten us. :wink:

Have Fun!

Image 8)
CorpRebel

Postby Publisher-For-You » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:59 am

CorpRebel wrote:Maybe the blog pros here can enlighten us. :wink:

I'm not a blog pro, but I am a software developer who has created programs very similar to WP.

Wise authors will host their blog somewhere where the technical people take care of things like software updates.

Wise authors focus on being wise authors.

Imagine a real newspaper.

Should the guy who writes the editorial page be down in the bowels of the building, adjusting settings on the printing press?

Would the newspaper invite the print pressman to come up stairs and write the Sunday feature article?

If we think about how the real professional world of publishing would handle this, we have our answer.

Novice authors try to become mechanics, pro authors are delighted that someone else wants to be the mechanic. :-)
Publisher-For-You

Postby nar321 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Have utilized the Wordpress plugin for Automatic upgrades without any problems (so far at least) obtain it from www.wordpress.org
nar321
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:40 pm

Publisher-For-You wrote:I'm not a blog pro, but I am a software developer who has created programs very similar to WP.

Wise authors will host their blog somewhere where the technical people take care of things like software updates.

Wise authors focus on being wise authors.

I mean no offense but ...

Spoken like a true programmer ... But being a bit philosophical about it. heh heh

Ideally, yes you're correct. And yes, there are popular, affordable hosting services like HostGator that say they do this but they are usually a version or two behind. And if you need 'immediate' upgrade ... Fuggitaboutit!

My reason for the poll was mainly curiosity. AND to see if anyone else gets edgy when WP keeps nagging us to upgrade even IF there aren't any security issues.

New features and cosmetic stuff are fine IF one wants or needs them, but I hate being nagged at for no reason. :twisted:

Imagine a real newspaper.

Should the guy who writes the editorial page be down in the bowels of the building, adjusting settings on the printing press?

Would the newspaper invite the print pressman to come up stairs and write the Sunday feature article?

If we think about how the real professional world of publishing would handle this, we have our answer.

Sheesh .... I always seem to get this type of analogy. :roll:

While I understand your 'analogy', the reality is that many new to online biz have to do their own thing the best they can.

You are still talking "ideal" conditions.

Novice authors try to become mechanics, pro authors are delighted that someone else wants to be the mechanic. :-)

So ... In YOUR mind, "novice authors" that can't yet afford to outsource webmaster/blogmaster tasks probably shouldn't be in biz - eh?

Personally, this isn't an issue for me as I like trying to install scripts on my own. Helps the learning process in my head. For the most part that is. :lol:

For me, I can afford to outsource if it's necessary. But MANY don't have that luxury yet.

Image 8)
CorpRebel

Postby CorpRebel » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:51 pm

nar321 wrote:Have utilized the Wordpress plugin for Automatic upgrades without any problems (so far at least) obtain it from www.wordpress.org

Kewl! Glad to hear that it's working out for you. I'm not sure I'm comfortable yet with the auto-upgrade stuff yet. :wink:

I probably should do more standardizing my settings on my WP sites. But my summer laziness has set in for the time being. heh heh

Image 8)
CorpRebel

Postby Publisher-For-You » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:56 pm

CorpRebel wrote:I mean no offense but ...

None taken, I appreciate your friendly challenge, keeps a good conversation rolling.

While I understand your 'analogy', the reality is that many new to online biz have to do their own thing the best they can. You are still talking "ideal" conditions.

I should have been more clear and specific, my fault, thanks for prodding me along.

I'm not talking about hiring a staff programmer at $75 per hour to handle anything technical. Agreed, too much.

I'm trying to explore a mindshift change, that could benefit many novice webmasters, and a lot of veterans too.

Is your site about cats?

Ok then, become one of the leading online authorities on cats. Really get in to it.

Learn how to write entertaining, engaging, informative cat articles that are good enough that readers send them to their friends. This is a very worthy challenge, all by itself. Taking this job seriously means not trying to do lots of other jobs at the same time.

Our readers don't give a darn if we know how to upgrade Wordpress, install a javascript clock, make a flash menu, or any of the thousands of other techno distractions we all let ourselves get sucked in to.

Readers aren't going to pay us for our technical skills, unless we really take tech seriously, and make THAT our specialty.

Don't waste time on stuff nobody is going to pay us for!

Marketing, another enormous job, all by itself.

So ... In YOUR mind, "novice authors" that can't yet afford to outsource webmaster/blogmaster tasks probably shouldn't be in biz - eh?

If a novice author is making decisions, and planning their online activities, based on the difference in price between a $9/mo host, and a $25/mo host, no, they probably shouldn't be in this biz.

Not yet, their vision is too small.

Yes, I know this is a very unpopular view.

But the FACT is that most of these webmasters don't succeed, and it's worth wondering why.

For me, I can afford to outsource if it's necessary. But MANY don't have that luxury yet.

Ok, that's the thing. It's not a luxury. It's not that expensive to choose a host that takes care of everything technical. But it's not free, and probably not available for $7/mo etc.

I could offer one example, but then I'd have to spam you. :-) So I'll choose another example.

SBI comes to mind. Ken Evoy is a leader in this philosophy. He doesn't expect his users to install patches, make modifications to the software etc. His staff takes care of all that.

Ken urges his users to get serious about THEIR job, not try to do his.

SBI is $300 all at once, so ok, that could be an obstacle for some.

But there are hundreds, if not thousands, of smaller hosts who bill monthly, and need the business, and want to lift the burden of technology from authors.

The problem is not the availability of solutions.

The problem is that the folks these solutions are intended to serve aren't really ready to have the burden lifted, aren't really ready to take their own job seriously.

Speaking of taking jobs seriously, I'd best get back to mine! :-)
Publisher-For-You

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging