This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Using Google Analytics on Wordpress?

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Using Google Analytics on Wordpress?

Postby WAHumor » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:43 pm

Does anyone use GA on Wordpress?
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby SteveJohnson » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:28 pm

On every WordPress site I create.

What's your REAL question? :)
SteveJohnson

Postby robert adams » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:08 pm

the only thing I know about GA, is that it really slows down every page it is being used on.

When pages are taking a long time to load, I watch the status bar at the bottom to see what is going on.
More often than not, it is trying to load whatever GA loads when used on a page.

however, the thing that takes the most time and will completely stop a page is the links to the adservers.

oh well, that is another rant all together.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby SteveJohnson » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:06 pm

I haven't had any issues with GA holding up page loading. Maybe the sites you're seeing with problems are still using the old Urchin code?

And yes -- adservers can slow pageloading to a standstill. One thing I've found that helps me is the Flashblock extension for Firefox. It displays the flash logo for flash objects instead of loading them.
SteveJohnson

Postby WAHumor » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:28 am

Is there a plugin for installing it after setup of Wordpress?
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby RKramkowski » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:24 pm

I just added the requisite code to my WP blog. So far I haven't done anything with it. It's only been installed for a few days. Now I need to figure out what kind of stats (meaningful stats, that is) I can pull out of it.

Dan, to answer your question, you sign up for a GA account and then insert the code they provide you in the place they tell you to.

Bob
RKramkowski

Postby robert adams » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:39 am

SteveJohnson wrote:I haven't had any issues with GA holding up page loading. Maybe the sites you're seeing with problems are still using the old Urchin code?

And yes -- adservers can slow pageloading to a standstill. One thing I've found that helps me is the Flashblock extension for Firefox. It displays the flash logo for flash objects instead of loading them.

In my experience it is not flash or images that slow it down. It is actually the ad servers themselves. They are so overloaded that just connecting to the server is what delays page loading.

tribalfusion is one of the worst ones.
there are several others that I can' remember the names of right now.

if people would just put there banners/ads/images on their own servers it would help a lot.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Kit Singleton » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Hey Dan,

For what it's worth, I've seen a lot of sites where GA slows down my load time. My connection speed almost never slows down but for some reason GA does. There is always an exception or 3 but I took it off of my own site for that very reason. ;)
Kit Singleton

Postby Kurt Henninger » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:44 pm

I personally use Google Analytics with wordpress and have found it the most useful of any traffic stats program I have used for my blog.
Kurt Henninger

Postby cwboaze » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:30 pm

I use GA on my blog and I think it does slow pages, but very small amounts.

i use the following plugin on mine! (latest version), http://cavemonkey50.com/code/google-analyticator/
cwboaze

Postby mellymom3 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:13 pm

Yes I got this from someone else's suggestion on the warriors forum. So far it works well and was easy to install with complete instructions.

http://www.semiologic.com/software/marketing/google-analytics/
mellymom3

Postby cfletcher » Sun May 31, 2009 8:39 pm

I've developed a plugin for wordpress, that shows a clean looking chart on your dashboard, displaying 3 metrics from your google analytics stats. The 3 metrics are Page Views, Visits and New Visits. The plugin is free and can be found on my blog here:

http://chris-fletcher.com/plug-ins/goog ... ics-stats/

I've also developed another plugin which is a more advanced plugin than the standard Google Analytics Stats. This plugin does the same thing that the other one does but it also display's more metrics and is more customizable. This one, I'm selling for $2.00, you can find it here

http://chris-fletcher.com/plug-ins/ga-stats-deluxe/

Just on a side note, I'm not posting here to advertise my product, just thought I'd share with the rest of the readers of this forum
cfletcher

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging